Share This
Division Of Interdisciplinary Studies At The Center For Worker Education

History & Timeline

Our History

The Division of Interdisciplinary Studies at the Center for Worker Education was established in 1981 by The City College of The City University of New York (CUNY) in collaboration with public employee unions. The Center is a division of the City College of CUNY located at 138th and Convent Avenue in Manhattan. The Center has approximately 750 students in attendance and offers over 170 courses each year. The average class size is about 25 students and our students’ average age is 30. The Division has graduated over 2500 students, including four City College valedictorians and one salutatorian


Timeline

1981
CLAS approval; program at 14 St. & Federal Plaza

1984
External & Internal Review; CLAS program approval

1985
ECE Program approval; move of half of program to 99 Hudson St.

1991
10th Year in operation

1995
6th floor added at 99 Hudson; all classes taught there

1997
Proposal to increase enrollment to 1000 Students

2001
20th Year in operation

2003
NCATE review of ECE

2005
New Faculty. City Council Funding, Division Status; External review

2006
25th Year Anniversary

2009
Renamed the Division of Interdisciplinary Studies at the Center for Worker Education