Federal Work-Study at CCNY
The Federal Work-Study, (FWS), program provides the opportunity for a student to earn money by working in a City College office or at an off-campus location.
Work-Study is awarded to students with "financial need". Financial need is determined by the information reported on a student's FAFSA. The CUNY Office of Student Financial Aid is responsible for assessing need and setting the parameters of how Federal funds allotted for this program are allocated.
Apply for FWS on-campus positions online at:
The guidelines for the program are:
- A student must be "placed" (hired), in a Federal Work-Study position before he/she can work and be paid.
- Freshmen (1st-time college students) and transfer students, entering in the Fall cannot use their FWS award during the preceding Summer.
- A student must be matriculated, in good academic standing and not be in default of any student loans.
- A student must be registered for at least 6 credits during the semester(s) they are working. This requirement only applies to the Fall and Spring semesters. Summer school enrollment is optional for students working during the Summer. However, in order to work during the summer students must be registered for 6 credits for Fall 2012. Students who wish to work during the Summer must come to placement on a Summer placement date.
- Students who wish to work during the Fall, Intercession or Spring semesters (academic year), should apply for a position online at the CCNY Student Employment (JobX) website, interview with prospective supervisor, and then come to the Financial Aid Office on the appropriate Eligibility Screening date. A student only needs to come to placement once per academic year.
- Students should dress for the job interview on the day scheduled by the prospective supervisor.
- Students should choose a FWS job site carefully. A student is expected to remain at the chosen job site for the entire period the contract is in effect.
- During the Fall/Spring semesters students may work up to 20 hours per week when classes are in session and during finals.
During the Summer students may work up to 35 hours per week.
During Intercession, Spring Recess and after scheduled finals are over a student may work up to 35 hours per week until:
Last day to work:
- Summer 2012 - Thursday, August 24, 2012
- Fall 2012 - Thursday, December 21, 2012
- Intersession- January 25, 2013
- Spring 2013 - Friday, May 24, 2013
- Summer 2012 - Thursday, August 24, 2012
- Off-campus Jobs
For jobs at other CUNY campuses or administrative offices see: "CUNY - (other CUNY colleges)" on the CCNY Student Employment Website.
For off-campus jobs at various organizations and companies students will need to review the FWS off-campus job listings which are located in the Financial Aid Office, Administration Building, Room 104. These listings can only be reviewed on a student's scheduled placement dates. Some of these positions will require a resume.
- If students are interested in working through the Public Service Corps., a city agency that places FWS students in different city agencies, they must bring a resume with them on their designated eligibility screening date.
- Students are required to pay Social Security tax (FICA) of 5.65% on FWS earnings under any of the following conditions:
- during the summer if he/she is enrolled for less than 6 credits
- during the intercession period
- if he/she works at an off-campus job site.
- Students will receive the 2012 -2013 FWS Payroll Schedule at eligibility screening . Each payroll period is two weeks.
For Summer 2012, work-study students may not work beyond Thursday, August 24, 2012. (All Summer 2012 time sheets must be submitted prior to the Fall 2012 placement dates.)
If a student is unable to earn the full amount of their award during the Summer, he/she may work during the Fall 2012 or Spring 2013 semesters if the following conditions are met:
- There is at least $250 of his/her FWS Award remaining
- He/she is registered for at least six (6) credits
Note: Placement dates for students who wish to "rollover" their remaining Summer 2012 funds to be earned during the Fall 2012 will be announced toward the end of the summer.
- The required FWS tax forms and instructions are available to download and print via the CCNY Student Employment website:
- PAY RATES:
ON - CAMPUS
- Freshmen/Sophomores $10.00 per hour
- Juniors/Seniors/2nd Degree undergraduates $11.00 per hour
- Graduates $12.00 per hour
OFF - CAMPUS
Rate will vary from minimum of $7.25 to $9.00 per hour
After the eligibility screening has taken place, do not make any corrections to your Student Aid Report (SAR)/FAFSA application. If you make corrections, it may affect your Federal Work-Study (FWS) award. If you feel corrections are required, please contact the Financial Aid office.