Requirements and Forms
A Step-by-Step Guide to their Fulfillment
4) Upon the near completion of 30 credits of coursework and the certification of 2 field papers, obtain and complete the "Clearance Form/ Non-Thesis Track" and attach to it the two instances of "Certification of Completion of Field Paper Requirement" and hard copies of the field papers.
6) Field papers are left with adviser signing the "Clearance Form" and "Certifications."
2) While taking courses, identify an adviser, based upon their area of study and an understanding of what their expectations are for your qualification for the writing of the thesis. Once you have identified an adviser, discuss and complete in their company the "Timetable to Estimated Completion of the Graduation Requirements for the Thesis-Track MA Program," (pdf) which then must be submitted to one of the MA Advisers for review and signature. As a rule of thumb, it is strongly recommended that all students wishing to qualify for HIST B9900 Thesis Research, and therewith the thesis track, work to identify an adviser by the time they have accumulated 15 credits of graduate coursework. In consultation with their adviser, students should also identify a second reader for their thesis at that time.
3) It is expected that you qualify for the registration for Thesis Research (HIST B9900 [3 credits]) and the writing of the thesis by completing a comprehensive field exam or prospectus. For information about Departmental standards for the Prospectus, see the tab titled "Thesis Guidelines."
4) Register for HIST B9900 "Thesis Research" by completing the "Request for Independent Study" with your adviser, who arranges for its HAND delivery to the Registrar. (Please give the adviser a lead time of at least a few business days prior to the deadline for this form! It is usually possible to register for Thesis Research as late as two weeks into the semester, but it is the responsibility of the student to inform themselves about the exact deadline for registration for Thesis Research and to respect it.) On this form, please be sure to request registration specifically for HIST B9900 Thesis Research.
5) At this time, if you plan to graduate in the same semester as the one in which you register for Thesis Research, then you must also file for graduation with the Registrar's Office. BE CAREFUL TO NOTE THE DEADLINE FOR FILING. (See academic calendar.) THIS APPLICATION IS NECESSARY FOR GRADUATION!
6) Seek a second reader for your thesis, if you have not done so already.
7) Complete and submit thesis to both readers well before the Humanities Division's deadline for the filing for graduation. (Check with the Humanities Division for its deadline for filing for graduation, if you have not already noted it.) The in-house Departmental deadline for the draft of your thesis should be worked out with the adviser and second reader; and it should allow ample time for the readers to review the draft of the thesis and for the student to implement revisions.
8) Upon the successful completion of the thesis, each thesis reader should be asked to sign and return to the student the singular "Certification of Completion of Master's Thesis Requirement."
10) Both the "Clearance Form" and "Timetable" as well as a bound copy of the Master's Thesis and its "Certification Form" should all be delivered to one of the MA advisers for signature. This entire bundle of signed documentation as well as an additional electronic file of the Master's thesis must then be delivered to Migen Prifti in the Dean's Office BEFORE the deadline set by the Dean's Office for the filing for graduation. (Check with the Humanities Division for its deadline for filing for graduation.) Approved qualifying exercise remains with the MA Adviser signing above forms.