M.A. in Mathematics Education - Grades 7 - 12
Professional / Permanent Certification
Admission requirements for the Master of Arts Degree Program Mathematics Education and initial New York State Certification to teach mathematics in grades 7-12) are:
- Hold an undergraduate degree in mathematics (or its equivalent - 30 credits) with a minimum overall gpa of 3.0. Mathematics coursework should include Calculus I, II (minimum of 8 credits), modern algebra, linear algebra, probability and statistics, geometry, number theory, and discrete mathematics and a New York State Initial Certification or its equivalent.
- Hold a valid New York State Provisional or Initial Teaching Certificate for Secondary Mathematics or its equivalent. Submit a copy of your New York State Provisional or Initial Teaching Certificate.
- Complete the admissions application (Contact the SOE Graduate Admission Office 212-650-6296 or NAC 3/227 for the application form and deadlines.)
To maintain ones status as a degree candidate and be recommended for graduation a candidate must:
- Maintain an overall 3.0 gpa.
- Complete all of the coursework in the program.
- Maintain an electronic teaching portfolio.