Gerard G. Lowen
Grove School of EngineeringDepartment
Steinman Hall ST - 222
p: (212) 650-8584
f: (212) 650-8013
B.E.(M.E.), The City College, 1954 M.S.(M.E.), Columbia University, 1958 P.E.(N.Y.), 1959 Dr. Ing., Tech. University Munich, Germany, 1963
Honors and Awards Corresponding Member, Society of German Engineers (VDI) 1995 Machine Design Award, The American Society of Mechanical Engineers 1987 Fellow, The American Society of Mechanical Engineers 1987 The City College Outstanding Teacher Award 1984
Analytical and experimental dynamics of high speed machinery Balancing and elastic behavior of linkages Mathematical modeling of artillery safety and arming mechanisms.
Professor Lowen, together with his doctoral students, has published 33 transaction papers and 20 reports on the dynamics of mechanical systems. Early on a new method for fully force balancing planar mechanisms with a minimum number of counterweights was generalized. Later, various types of partial shaking force and moment balancing schemes were developed. A novel concept for a force balancing machine was awarded a U.S. patent. In the field of mechanism elasticity it was shown that the resonance positions of the link deflections can be predicted with the help of Floquet theory. Further progress in this field was made by way of the analysis of an industrial press feed mechanism which contains an elastic coupler and an elastic sprag clutch. Recent work produced an analytically solvable linear model of this mechanism. Finally, work for Picatinny Arsenal produced many innovations in the modeling of safety and arming devices.
- Berkof, R.S. and Lowen, G.G. 'A New Method for Completely Force Balancing Simple Linkages," Trans. ASME, Jnl.of Eng.for Ind., Ser. B, Vol. 91, No.l, Feb. 1969, pp.21-26.
- Tepper, R.F. and Lowen, G.G. "General Theorems Concerning Full Force Balancing of Planar Linkages by Internal Mass Redistribution," Trans. ASME, Jnl.of Eng.for Ind., Ser.B, Vol. 94, No.3,Aug. 1972, pp.789-796.
- Jandrasits, W.G. and Lowen, G.G. "The Elastic-Dynamic Behavior of a Counterweighted Rocker Link with an Overhanging Endmass in a Four-Bar Linkage, Part I: Theory, Part II:Application and Experiment," Trans. ASME, Jnl. Mech. Des.,Vol. 101, No.l, Jan. 1979, pp.77-98.
- Tricamo, S.J. and Lowen, G.G. "A New Concept for Force Balancing Machines for Planar Linkages, Part I: Theory,' Trans. ASME, Jnl.Mech.Des., Vol. 103, No.3, July 1981, pp.637-642.
- "Part II: Application to Four-Bar Linkage and Experiment," Trans. ASME, Jnl.Mech.Des., Vol.103, No.4., Oct. 1981, pp.784-792.
- Lowen, G. G. and Chassapis, C., "The Elastic Behavior of Linkages: An Update", Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 33-42, 1986.
- Chassapis, C. and Lowen, G. G. "Simulation of Power Press Feed Setup", Metal Forming, Sept. 1991, pp.57-59.
- T. Xu and G. G. Lowen, "A New Analytical Approach for the Determination of the Transient Response in Elastic Mechanisms", ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 115, No. 1, 1993, pp. 119-124.
- T. Xu and G. G. Lowen, "A Mathematical Model of an Over-Running Sprag Clutch", Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol. 29, No. 1, 1994, pp. 11-23.
- C. Chassapis and G. G. Lowen, "Computer Simulation of a Press Feed Mechanism and Experimental Confirmation", ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 116, No. 1, 1994, pp. 248-256.
- C. Chassapis and G. G. Lowen, "The Elastic-Dynamic Modeling of a Press Feed Mechanism", ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 116, No. 1, 1994, pp. 238-247.
- T. Xu and G. G. Lowen, "A New Damping Model for Non-Linear Stiffness Systems with Variable Preload Displacement and Constant Amplitude Decay Ratios", ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 116, No. 1, 1994, pp. 257-263.
- T. Xu and G. G. Lowen, "A Closed Solution for the Elastic-Dynamic Behavior of an Industrial Press-Feed Mechanism and Experimental Verification", ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 117, No. 4, 1995, pp. 539-547.
- Tepper, F.R. and Lowen, G. G., 1994, "A Design Tool for Artillery Safety and Arming Mechanisms Containing Clock Gears and a Straight-Sided Verge Runaway Escapement and Operating in a Aeroballistic Environment," Technical Report ARAED-TR-94011, US Army ARDEC, Picatinny Arsenal, NJ 07806-5000.
Current Professional Affiliations
American Society of Mechanical Engineers American Society for Engineering Education Society of Manufacturing Engineers Verein Deutscher Ingenieure (VDI) American Association for the Advancement for Science The New York Academy of Science American Association of University Professors