Grove School of EngineeringDepartment
Steinman Hall 617
p: (212) 650-6594
f: (212) 650-8249
After doing graduate work in machine vision and medical image processing, Dr. Fenster was a member of CCNY's Computer Science faculty through 2004. The Computer Engineering program was created in 2000, chaired by Computer Science and Electrical Engineering; he has been its administrative director since 2004, overseeing curriculum development and advising.
- Ph.D. (CS), Columbia University, 2000.
- M.S. (CS), Columbia SEAS, 1989.
- A.B. (CS), Columbia College, 1987.
Computer vision, pattern recognition and image processing; programming languages; engineering education.
Courses Regularly Taught
Engineering 10100 / FIQWS 10026, hosting weekly guest lectures.
- “Nonparametric Training of Snakes to Find Indistinct Boundaries,” by Samuel D. Fenster, Chun-Bin Gary Kuo and John R. Kender. Oral presentation at CVPR workshop Mathematical Methods in Biomedical Imaging Analysis, Kauai, Hawaii, Dec. 2001.
- Training, Evaluation and Local Adaptation in Deformable Models, doctoral dissertation. Columbia University, 2000.
- “Sectored Snakes: Evaluating Learned-Energy Segmentations,” by Samuel D. Fenster and John R. Kender. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, v. 23 #9 pp. 1028-1034, Sep. 2001. Originally appeared in Proc. International Conference on Computer Vision, Bombay, India, Jan. 1998.
- “Reinterpreting Physically-Motivated Modeling,” by Terrance E. Boult, Samuel D. Fenster and Thomas O'Donnell. In Proceedings of the ARPA Image Understanding Workshop, Monterey, CA, Nov. 1994.
- “Physics in a Fantasy World vs. Robust Statistical Estimation,” by Terrance E. Boult, Samuel D. Fenster and Thomas O'Donnell. In Proceedings of the NSF/ARPA Workshop on 3-D Object Representation for Computer Vision, New York, NY, Dec. 5-7, 1994. Published in Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1995, v. 994: Object Representation in Computer Vision, p. 277, Springer.
- “Dynamic Attributes, Code Generation and the IUE,” by Terrance E. Boult, Samuel D. Fenster and Jason W. Kim. In Proceedings of the ARPA Image Understanding Workshop, Monterey, CA, Nov. 1994.