Share This
Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education

Sophie Davis is Headquartered at Harris Hall

After a multi-year multi-million dollar renovation, which was finally completed in the Spring of 2003, Townsend Harris Hall has finally become the home of the the Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education.

The building is named for Townsend Harris, the founder of City College, and is usually referred to simply as "Harris Hall." Designed by famed New York architect George B. Post and completed in 1908, Harris Hall is located in the historic Gothic Quadrangle of The City College of New York (CCNY) in northern Manhattan. The Quadrangle was dedicated in May of 1908 at a ceremony at which Mark Twain was the featured speaker.

Harris Hall tower

The renovation of the building's exterior is part of the CCNY Terra Cotta Restoration, one of the largest such projects in North America. In addition to renovating the building's historic facade, which is richly decorated with gargoyles, the Harris Hall construction project also built state-of-the-art electronic teaching capabilities into a number of classrooms, small group seminar rooms and multi-disciplinary teaching laboratories. The building also features a distance-learning conference room, which enables conferences, meetings and seminars to take place with electronic connection to remote sites, such as hospitals, community health centers or other colleges or universities.

Other CCNY Facilities

All of Sophie Davis's school and departmental offices are located in Harris Hall, along with faculty and staff office and some of the teaching facilities. Other classroom are located in the North Academic Center (NAC Building) and in the Marshak Science Building, where some faculty research labs are also located.

The Library

More than 210,000 books and bound journal volumes are housed in the Science/Engineering Library, located on the first floor of the Marshak Building. The Library also subscribes to 1,300 journals, maintains an audiovisual collection, provides a variety of abstracting and indexing services, and has a computerized bibliographical retrieval service.

The biomedical collection in the Science Library currently consists of 27,000 volumes, while subscriptions to periodicals number approximately 230.

The biomedical collection is supplemented by several services: (1) the inter-library loan system of the Medical Library Center of New York, (2) a CD-ROM based search engine which is available on the local area network in the Science/Engineering Library, (3) internet access to the holdings of the National Library of Medicine, and (4) rapid fax service of materials from the holdings of the Levy Library of the Mt. Sinai Medical Center. Through such services students, faculty and staff can readily obtain needed books and journal articles.

Click for a CCNY Campus Map

Sophie Davis E-mail