Undergraduate Application Process
While City College does not offer a Bachelor's Degree in Secondary Spanish Education, undergraduate Spanish majors may complete the coursework for New York State initial certification to teach Spanish at the adolescent level (grades 7-12) by fulfilling the following requirements.
Admission requirements for the undergraduate program leading to teacher certification in adolescent (secondary) Spanish are:
- Declare a Spanish major and indicate that you are interested in the education track.
- Complete a minimum of 12 credits of the Spanish major with a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Have an overall GPA of 2.7 or higher.
- Declare your intention to complete the requirements of the Secondary Spanish Education concentration in the Office of Admissions and Student Services, NAC 3/223A.
- Take the Academic Literacy Skills Test (ALST) or the City College School of Education's S.E.A.T.
- Make an appointment with the Secondary Spanish Education Advisor, Dr. Edwin M. Lamboy.
To maintain one’s status as a secondary Spanish teacher candidate and be recommended for student teaching, a candidate must:
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA in the Spanish major.
- Maintain an overall 2.7 GPA.
- Pass the Academic Literacy Skills Test (ALST) and the New York State Content Specialty Test in Spanish.
- Complete the educational core: EDUC 20500, EDCE 22200, EDSE 41300, EDUC 41900, EDSE 44500, EDSE 45105, EDSE 46500, and EDSE 46600.
Note: The educational core includes 100 hours of pre-student teaching experience in New York City schools. Teacher candidates must have time during normal public school hours to fulfill this requirement.
Admission to student teaching requires completion of the student teaching application during the first 10-weeks of the semester prior to student teaching. Contact the Office of Clinical Practice and Student Teaching (NAC 6/207A or 212-650-6915) for information regarding the deadlines and application process. Admission requirements include:
- Completion of all Liberal Arts, Spanish major, and education requirements.
- A GPA of 2.7 or higher.
- Successful completion of 100 hours of field experience (part of Education requirements).
- A GPA of 3.0 in the Spanish major.
- A passing score on the School of Education's S.E.A.T or the Academic Literacy Skills Test (ALST).
- A passing score on the New York State Content Specialty Test in Spanish (CST*).
During the student teaching semester you will register for:
- EDUC 41900: Child Abuse and Health Education Seminar (0 credits)
- EDSE 46500: Student Teaching in Secondary Schools – Spanish (4 credits) (This is a full-time, full-semester, supervised teaching experience in the New York City Public Schools.)
- EDSE 46600: Seminar on the Teaching on Spanish and Literacy in Secondary Schools (2 credits)
To be recommended for certification, teacher candidates must:
- Complete the bachelor's degree with a major in Spanish and apply for graduation.
- Successfully complete the student teaching semester.
- Pass the New York State ALST, EAS, and CST.
- Submit an application for certification to the City College Certification Officer.