PLEASE COMPLETE OUR BRIEF SURVEY
Did you graduate from the CCNY CE undergraduate program within the last 6 years, or you supervise a recent graduate (within ~6 years) of the CCNY CE undergraduate program? If so, please complete a brief survey. This information is critical to our accreditation and to our program.
Welcome to the web-page of the Civil Engineering Department at the City College of New York/CUNY. The Department has a rich history in providing the best possible education to the most diverse group of students in terms of racial, ethnic, and economic backgrounds. Recent improvements have elevated the Department into a prominent position among institutions of comparable size. Noteworthy among the achievements of the past five years are:
- Several new faculty members have recently joined the Department following their graduation from the most prestigious universities in the country.
- The research capabilities of our laboratories in Structural, Environmental/ Water Resources, and Transportation Engineering have been significantly upgraded to become among the best-equipped in the tri-state area.
- Our external research funding has significantly increased to reach approximately $5,800,000.
- Several Research Institutes and Centers have been established to harness the research abilities of our faculty and staff as well as researchers from other Departments throughout the CUNY system. Their success is heralded by significant external funding awarded from such agencies as NOAA, NASA, NSF, NYS and NJ DOT, and the NYC DEP.
The Department is equally proud of its undergraduate and graduate students. Our students truly represent the diversity of New York City's population. They share a common bond, which is their commitment to excel in their studies and ultimately succeed as civil engineers and productive citizens. The Department is committed to providing them with a curriculum that satisfies the technical demands of a modern engineer augmented by well defined liberal art courses to help them develop as competent, articulate, and well-rounded professionals. The Bachelor of Engineering (Civil Engineering) program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET. 111 Market Place, Suite 1050, Baltimore, MD - telephone: (401) 347-7700.
We would like to express our sincere gratitude to the guidance provided by the members of the CE Advisory Board whose membership includes representatives of academic institutions, government agencies, and prominent consulting firms. Also, the Department appreciates the support provided by the Civil Engineering Alumni Group who is working with our students to provide them with professional advice and a strong network for career placement.
Mission of the CE Department
Inspired by a tradition of access and excellence, the mission of the Civil Engineering Department is to educate and prepare students to be leaders in the Civil Engineering profession as practicing engineers, researchers, or educators. The Department is committed to providing the highest quality education, promoting research excellence and scholarship, and serving the public good. The Department will continue its tradition of maintaining a diverse faculty, and of educating students of diverse backgrounds, including traditionally underrepresented minorities and women.
Goals of the CE Department
- To provide quality education for a diverse student body.
- To prepare technically capable and intellectually motivated civil engineers with the communications skills and an understanding of economic, societal and environmental impacts necessary to address modern civil engineering challenges.
- To conduct high quality research in areas of local, national, and global importance.
- To serve the community and the Civil Engineering profession.
- To enhance the status of the Civil Engineering department as a leader in Civil Engineering education, research and service.
- To develop instructional and research collaborations with stakeholders such as local or federal agencies and firms.