Professor Director of the Center for Advanced Engineering Design and Development
Professor Sadegh is the Founder and Director of the Center for Advanced Engineering Design and was the Chairman of the Department of Mechanical Engineering at CCNY. He is a Licensed Professional Engineer, P.E., and a Certified Manufacturing Engineer, CMfgE. He was the recipient of the Best Paper Award from the Bioengineering Division of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers in 1992 and was the recipient of the Melville Medal from the American Society of Mechanical Engineers in 1993. He is also the recipient of the Inventor Award from General Motors Corp.
Professor Sadegh has been elected to Fellow of ASME and Fellow of SME (society of Manufacturing Engineering). He was Chairman of Chapter 320 of Society of Manufacturing Engineers, New Jersey. He is the reviewer of many national and international journals. He was the director of the Selected Program in Science and Engineering (SPISE) at CCNY. Dr. Sadegh has conducted research and has over 170 publications including 15 book chapters. He also has 16 US patents and 49 technical reports. He is one of the three editors of Marks Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers, published by McGraw Hill. He is one of the three authors of Roark’s Formulas for Stress and Strain book, published by McGraw Hill. He has over 90 presentations at major conferences and over 30 invited presentations at conferences and universities. Throughout the years he received research funding from many federal agencies and industrial sponsors, including NSF, ONR/ASEE, AFOSR, ALCOA, Lucent Technologies, Con-Edison, ATK-GESL, NCIIA, Multi Flex, Roanwell Corp. and CUNY. He has organized and chaired many technical sessions in conferences. He was an Evaluator of Mechanical Engineering programs of Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology (ABET) 1996-2004.
- B.S. (M.E.), 1972, Sharif University of Technology
- M.S. (M.E.), 1975, Michigan State University
- Ph.D.(M.E.), 1978, Michigan State University
- Postdoctoral, 1979, University of Michigan
- Senior Design Projects I and II
- Composite Materials
- Boundary Element Methods
- Finite Element Methods
- Machine Design
- Computer Aided Design
- Automotive Safety Design and Injury Biomechanics
- Manufacturing Processes
- Materials Advance Stress Analysis
- Theory of Elasticity
- Theory of Vibration
- Advanced Vibration
- Advanced Numerical Methods
- Complex Variable Analysis
A: Mechanical engineering:
- Material modeling and computational mechanics;
- Composite materials;
- Mechanics of Woven/Braded Fabrics;
- Mechanics and Testing of Drop-Stitch and Air Inflated Structures;
- Automotive Safety;
- Mechanical Systems Analyses; and,
- Design and Manufacturing of Novel Devices.
- Brain Biomechanics, Concussion and Traumatic Brain Injuries in Sports and Accidents, Histology and Morphology and Structural Architecture of Subarachnoid Space;
- Skeletal Biomechanics, Cervical Spine Injuries in Sports and Accidents, Discectomy and Fusion;
- Prosthesis, Medical and Rehabilitation Devices;
- Bone Remodeling, Bone and Implants Interactions, Osseointegration, Fracture Damage and Healing of Bone;
- Implant Design and Biodynamic;
- Computational Biomechanics; and,
- Body-Machine Interaction, Ergonomics and Human Factors.
- Saboori, P. Sadegh, A. ,"Head-brain-SAS Biomechanics and TBI in Sports and Accidents", Book Chapter 40, Routledge Handbook of Ergonomics in Sports and Exercise, Edited by Y.Hong: Published by Taylor & Francis, p-494-510, 2013.
- Sadegh, A and Cavallaro, P. " Mechanics of Energy Absorbability in Plain-Woven Fabrics: An Analytical Approach", the Journal of Engineering Fibers and Fabrics, Vol. 7, issue 1, 2012.
- Honarmandi, P., Sadegh, A., "Modeling and Impact Analysis of Football Helmets: Toward Mitigating mTBI", Proceedings of the International Mech. Engr. Congress and Exposition, (IMECE), IMECE2012-87173, Houston, Texas , November 9-15, 2012.
- Saboori, P. and Sadegh, A., "The Effect of the Sulcus Morphology on the Transduction of Impacts to the Brain" Proceedings of the International Mech. Engr. Congress and Exposition, (IMECE), IMECE2012-86689 , Houston, Texas, November 9-15, 2012
- "Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain", Warren C. Young, Richard G. Budynas, and Ali M. Sadegh, eighth edition, 1087 pages, McGraw-Hill Publication, December 2011.
- Shahab Baghaei, and Ali Sadegh, "Elastic Spherical Shell Impacted with an Elastic Barrier: A Closed Form Solution" , International Journal of Solids and Structures, Volume 48, Issues 22-23, Pages 3257-3266, November 2011
- Shahab Baghaei, Ali Sadegh, and Mohamad Rajaai, "An Analytical Model For Investigating The Role Of Meningeal Interfaces In The Brain Motion Relative To The Skull In Low-Velocity Head Impacts" Int. J. Biomedical Engineering and Technology, Vol. 5, No. 1, 2011
- Saboori, P. and Sadegh, A., "Material modeling of the head's subarachnoid space" Int. J. of Science and Technolgy, Scientia Iranica, Elsevier Publications, volume 18, Issue 6, PP1492-1499, December 2011
- Zoghi M., Sadegh, A, "Equivalent Fluid Model for CSF and SAS Trabeculae Using Head/Brain Damping", Int. J. of Biomedical Engineering and Technology, Vol. 4 No. 4 2010.
- Zoghi M., Sadegh, A, "Global/Local Head Models to Analyze Cerebral Blood Vessel Rupture Leading to ASDH and SAH" , Int. J. of Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, vol. 12, issue 1, pp1-12, January 2009.
- Sadegh, A., and Cavallaro, P. ,"Nonlinear Constitutive Relationships of Plain-Woven Fabric For Inflatable Structures", Macro-to Nano-Scale Inelastic Behavior of Materials: Plasticity, Fatigue and Fracture, Edited by Akhtar Khan and Babak Farrokh, Proceedings of PLASTICITY '09, The 15th International Symposium on Plasticity and its Current Applications, paper number 256, ISBN 0-9659463-9-8, St. Thomas, January 5, 2009.
- Saboori, P. and Sadegh, A., "The Effect of Mechanical Properties of SAS Trabeculae in transferring Loads to the Brain", IMECE2009-13350, Proceedings of the International Mech. Engr. Congress and Exposition, (IMECE), BED/ASME, Orlando Florida, November, 2009.
- Baghaei, S.M., Sadegh, A. M., and Rajaai, S.M. "A Mathematical Head/Brain Model for Investigation of Damping Characteristics of SAS in Low Velocity Head Impacts" Proceedings of the 25th Southern Biomedical Engineering Conference, edited by A. McGoron, C-Z Li, and W-C Lin. Also published in the Int. J. of Medical Implants and Devices, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp 58, 2009.
- Tchako A, and Sadegh A. "A Cervical Spine Model To Predict Injury Scenarios And Clinical Instability" Journal of Sports Biomechanics, Vol. 8(1): pp 78-95, March 2009.
- Tchako A, and Sadegh A. "Stress Changes In Intervertebral Discs Of The Cervical Spine Due To Partial Discectomies And Fusion" Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, Vol.131, Iss.5, 2009.
- Zoghi M., Sadegh, A, Watkins, C. and Dan Dunlap "Biodynamics Model For Operator Head Injury In Stand-Up Lift Trucks", Int. J. of Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 11 No. 4, pp 397-405, 2008.
- Parisa Saboori, William Morris, Jizhong Xiao, Ali Sadgeh, "Aerodynamic Analysis of City-Climber Robot", Robotics and Biomimetics (Robio 2007), pp1855-1860, 2007.
- Cavallaro, P., Sadegh, A. and Quigley, C., "Decrimping Behavior of Uncoated Plain woven Fabrics Subjected to Combined Biaxial Tension and Shear Stresses", Textile Research Journal, Vol.77 (6), PP 403-416, 2007.
- Cavallaro, P., Sadegh, A. and Quigley, C., "Contributions Of Strain Energy And Pdv-Work On The Bending Behavior Of Fabric Air Beams" Journal of Engineered Fibers & Fabrics, Vol 2,Issue 1, 2007.
- "Marks Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers", Avallone, E, Baumeister III,T and Sadegh, A., 11th edition, over 1800 pages, McGraw-Hill Publication, December 2006.
- Jizhong Xiao, Angel Calle, Ali Sadegh, Matthew Elliot, "Modular Wall Climbing Robots with Transition Capability", Proc. 2005 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics (IEEE ROBIO), pp246-250, 2005.
- Jizhong Xiao, Ali Sadegh, Matthew Elliot, Angel Calle, Avinash Persad, Ho Ming Chiu, "Design of Mobile Robots with Wall Climbing Capability", Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, pp438~443, July 24-28, 2005.
- Cavallaro, P., Johnson, M. and Sadegh, A. "Mechanics of plain-woven fabrics for inflated structures" International Journal of Composite Structures, Vol. 61, Issue 4, pp 375-393, Sept. 2003.
Recent U.S. Patents:
- Sadegh, A., Cavallaro, P, Quigley, C, “Deployable and Inflatable Fendering Apparatus and Method”, Patent No. 8,087,371, Issued on January 3, 2012.
- Sadegh, A., Cavallaro, P, Quigley, C, “Compact and Stand-Alone Combined Multi-Axial and Shear Test Apparatus”, Patent No. 8,082,802, Issued on December 27, 2011.
- Sadegh, A, and Wolberge, G, “Page Turner With Moving Page Retaining Arms and Method of Operation”, 7939739, Issued on May 10, 2011.
- Caraballoso, E. A., and Sadegh A., “Retractable Composite Impeller Assembly”, Patent No. 2010/0104437 A1, Issued on April 19, 2010.
Honors and Awards:
- Best Paper Award Bioengineering Division ASME (1992)
- Melville Medal of the ASME (1993)
- Inventor Award from General Motors Corp. (1989)
- Teacher Of The Year Award (2006), GSOE the City College of the City University of New York.
- Editor of McGraw-Hill’s Marks Mechanical Engineering Handbook 2006-present.
- Consulting Editor of McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology, 2005-Present.
- Member of the Editorial Board of "Scientia Iranica, International Journal of Science and Technology," 1994-present.
- Won Best Design Award from NASA, Space Alliance Technology Outreach Program (SATOP), 2007
- Life FELLOW of ASME (1995)
- Life FELLOW of SME (1996)