Ardavan Yazdanbakhsh is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Civil Engineering at the Grove School of Engineering at the City College of New York (CCNY). Before joining CCNY, he worked as graduate research assistant at Texas A&M University, where he received his Ph.D. degree in Civil Engineering. Dr. Yazdanbakhsh's primary research is in the areas of cement-based materials and mechanical performance of reinforced concrete members, with an emphasis on the development of sustainable concrete, nano-modification of cementitious materials, durability of concrete, and experimental mechanics. He has authored several technical publications on these topics. Dr. Yazdanbakhsh is the principal investigator of a project titled as "Utilization of recycled concrete in new building construction" awarded by the U.S. National Science Foundation (NSF) in 2013.
Dr. Yazdanbakhsh has several years of industry experience. He joined IranYas Construction Company in 2001 where he worked as a site engineer of a road construction project until 2004. In 2004 he joined Cyrus Group of Companies in the UAE as a production engineer of a plant where construction materials such as concrete and asphalt additives, pavement materials, and primers were produced. He later joined the construction branch of the company and worked as a site engineer of residential buildings with concrete structures until 2008.
Open position for Ph.D. Studies and Research Assistantship. For more information click here
Ph.D., Civil/Materials Engineering (2012), Texas A&M University, College Station, USA.
M.S., Civil/Structural Engineering (2008), University of Sharjah, Sharjah, UAE.
B.S., Civil Engineering (2001), Azad University, Tehran, Iran.
Design of Concrete Structures (CE 44100)
Statics (CE 23100)
- Experimental mechanics
- Material and structural properties of concrete
- Development of sustainable concrete
- Use of waste materials in concrete
- Life cycle impact analysis of concrete
- Durability of concrete
- Fiber reinforced concrete (FRC)
- Nano-modification of cement-based materials
- Strengthening concrete members with fiber reinforced polymers (FRPs)
- Yazdanbakhsh, A. and Bank, L. C., "A critical review of research on reuse of mechanically recycled FRP production and end-of-life waste for construction," Polymers. Vol. 6, pp. 1794-1810, 2014.
- Bank, L. C. and Yazdanbakhsh, A., "Reuse of glass thermoset FRP composites in the construction industry – a growing opportunity," Proc. of The 7th International Conference on FRP Composites in Civil Engineering, Vancouver, Canada, Aug. 20-22, 2014.
- Yazdanbakhsh, A. and Z. Grasley, "Utilization of silica fume to stabilize the dispersion of carbon nanofilaments in cement paste,"Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering. Vol. 26, No. 7, 2014.
- Yazdanbakhsh, A., Grasley, Z., Tyson, B., and Al-Rub, R.A.,"Challenges and benefits of utilizing carbon nanofilaments in cementitious materials," Journal of Nanomaterials, Vol. 2012, pp. 1-8, 2012.
- Yazdanbakhsh, A., Grasley, Z., "The theoretical maximum achievable dispersion of nanoinclusions in cement paste," Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 42, Issue. 6, pp. 798-804, 2012.
- Tyson B.M, Abu Al-Rub, R.K., Yazdanbakhsh, A., Grasley, Z., "A quantitative method for analyzing the dispersion and agglomeration of nano-particles in composite materials". Composites Part B: Engineering. Vol. 42, No. 6, pp. 1395-403, 2011.
- Abu Al-Rub, R. K. A., Tyson, B.M., Yazdanbakhsh, A., Grasley, Z., "Mechanical properties of nanocomposite cement incorporating surface-treated and untreated carbon nanotubes and carbon nanofibers." Journal of Nanomechanics and Micromechanics, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 1-6, 2011.
- Yazdanbakhsh, A., Grasley, Z., Tyson, B.M., Abu Al-Rub, R.K., "Dispersion quantification of inclusions in composites," Composites: Part A, Vol. 42, No. 1, pp. 75-83, 2011.
- Grasley, Z., Yazdanbakhsh, A., "Quantifying the dispersion of discrete inclusions using continuum theory," Composites Part A, Vol. 42, No. 12, pp. 2043-2050, 2011.
- Tyson, B.M., Abu Al-Rub, R.K., Yazdanbakhsh, A., Grasley, Z., "Carbon nanotubes and carbon nanofibers for enhancing the mechanical properties of nanocomposite cementitious materials," ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering. Vol. 23, No. 7, pp. 1028-1035, 2011.
- Yazdanbakhsh, A., Grasley, Z., Tyson, B.M, Abu Al-Rub, R.K., "Distribution of carbon nanofibers and nanotubes in cementitious composites," Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 2142, pp. 89-95, 2010.
- Altoubat. S., Yazdanbakhsh, A., Rieder, K.-A., 2009, "Shear behavior of macro-synthetic fiber-reinforced concrete beams without stirrups," ACI Materials Journal, V. 106, No. 4, July-August 2009, pp. 381-389.