Professor Hu specializes in the history of modern science and technology (both in the West and in China) and modern Chinese history. His recent works focus primarily on the scientific development in twentieth-century China and he examines Chinese developments through careful case studies of selected scientific disciplines, institutions, and individuals with detailed treatment of both scientific contents and relevant sociopolitical contexts. His first monograph, China and Albert Einstein (Harvard, 2005), is the first extensive study, in either English or Chinese, of China's reception of the celebrated physicist and his theory of relativity. An expanded Chinese edition of this book was selected as one of the ten best books published in China in 2006.
Professor Hu is currently working on a book project concerning British physicist William Band's career in China, in which he explores the scientific developments during the Republican China and reveal the contributions of Christian colleges in China.
- B.E., Beijing Jiaotong University, Beijing, China
- Graduate School of the Chinese Academy of Sciences
- M.A., Case Western Reserve Univ.
- M. Phil., Ph.D., Yale Univ.
- Modern China
- Traditional China
- Twentieth Century China
- History of the PRC
- History of China’s Cultural Revolution
- Science and Technology in China
- Albert Einstein and His World
- Nuclear Weapons Programs in Asia
- Making Nukes: Science, Scientists, and Politics in US, USSR, & PRC
- Science and Technology in the 20th Century
- World Civilization
Professor Hu is currently working on a book project concerning British physicist William Band's career in China, in which he explores the scientific developments during the Republican China and reveal the contributions of Christian colleges in China.Meanwhile, he has also embarked on researches of the physicist community in 20th century China and of the Chinese STM during the Cultural Revolution.
Ai yin si tan zai zhong guo 《爱因斯坦在中国》 [Einstein in China] (Shanghai Science &Technology Education Press, August 2006).
This is an expanded Chinese edition of China and Albert Einstein, which was elected as one of the ten best books published in China in 2006 by editors of influential Zhonghua Dushu Bao [Chinese Readers' Weekly] (2006年《中华读书报》年度十佳图书之一, announced on December 20, 2006)
China and Albert Einstein: The Reception of the Physicist and His Theory in China, 1917-1979, Cambridge, MA: HarvardUniversity Press, March 2005.
- Certificate of Recognition from The City University of New York, presented on the occasion of the “Salute to Scholars” in honor of one’s outstanding scholarly achievements and contributions to the creation and transmittal of knowledge, December 8, 2015.
- Elected to the editorial board of Studies in the History of Natural Sciences [自然科学史研究]—the only national journal in the People's Republic of China devoted to interdisciplinary and comprehensive studies in the history of science, technology, and medicine.
- Visiting Scholar, Max Planck Institute for the History of Science, Berlin, Germany, April-July 2015
- Agnes Gund and Daniel Shapiro Member of the Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton, NJ, September 2014-April 2015.
- Scholar Incentive Award, The City University of New York, 27 August 2014—25 August 2015.
- Humanities Enrichment Grant, Division of Humanities &The Arts, The City College of New York, 2014-2015.
- PSC-CUNY Research Awards, 2015-16, 2013-14, 2011-12, 2009-10, 2008-09, 2007-08, 2006-07
- Visiting research fellow (2006-2011): The Institute for History of Natural Science (IHNS), Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), Beijing, China
- 2011-2012 Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Research Fellowship for US-based scholars at the Needham Research Institute, Cambridge, U.K.
- K.C. Wong Education Foundation Research Grant, the Chinese Academy of Sciences (中国科学院王宽诚科研奖金), 2011-2012.
- Visiting Professor (Fall 2011): Center for History and Philosophy of Science, Peking University;Department of History of Science, University of Science and Technology of China.
- Visiting Scholar at Max Planck Institute for History of Science, Berlin, Germany, July 1-28, 2007.
- My book Ai yin si tan zai zhong guo 爱因斯坦在中国 [Einstein in China] was elected as one of the ten best books published in China in 2006 by the influential Zhonghua Dushu Bao [Chinese Readers' Weekly] (2006年《中华读书报》年度10佳图书之一). (Announced on December 20, 2006).
- Invited by the Princeton University Bookstore to attend its book signing event in Princeton, NJ (October 2005)
- Chunhui Research Grant [春晖科研奖金], Chinese Ministry of Education.Host Institution: Tsinghua University, Beijing, 2004.
- John Clarke Slater Fellowship for 1998, American Philosophical Society (only one recipient each year)