Additional Departments/Affiliated Programs::
Professor Hu specializes in the history of modern science and technology (both in the West and in China) and modern Chinese history. His recent works focus primarily on the scientific development in twentieth-century China and he examines Chinese developments through careful case studies of selected scientific disciplines, institutions, and individuals with detailed treatment of both scientific contents and relevant sociopolitical contexts. His first monograph, China and Albert Einstein (Harvard, 2005), is the first extensive study, in either English or Chinese, of China's reception of the celebrated physicist and his theory of relativity. An expanded Chinese edition of this book was selected as one of the ten best books published in China in 2006.
Professor Hu is currently working on a book project concerning British physicist William Band's career in China, in which he explores the scientific developments during the Republican China and reveal the contributions of Christian colleges in China.
- B.E., Beijing Jiaotong University, Beijing, China
- Graduate School of the Chinese Academy of Sciences
- M.A., Case Western Reserve Univ.
- M. Phil., Ph.D., Yale Univ.
- Modern China
- Traditional China
- Twentieth Century China
- History of the PRC
- History of China’s Cultural Revolution
- Science and Technology in China
- Albert Einstein and His World
- Nuclear Weapons Programs in Asia
- Making Nukes: Science, Scientists, and Politics in US, USSR, & PRC
- Science and Technology in the 20th Century
Professor Hu is currently working on a book project concerning British physicist William Band's career in China, in which he explores the scientific developments during the Republican China and reveal the contributions of Christian colleges in China.Meanwhile, he has also embarked on researches of the physicist community in 20th century China and of the Chinese STM during the Cultural Revolution.
·Ai yin si tan zai zhong guo爱因斯坦在中国 [Einstein in China] (Shanghai Science &Technology Education Press, August 2006).This is an expanded Chinese edition of China and Albert Einstein.
·China and Albert Einstein: The Reception of the Physicist and His Theory in China, 1917-1979, Cambridge, MA: HarvardUniversity Press, March 2005.
Book Chapters and Articles:
1."王竹溪留学剑桥 [Studying in Cambridge: Jwu-Shi Wang's Story],"自然科学史研究[Studies in the History of Natural Sciences], Vol. 33, No.4 (2014): 445-466.（co-authored with Xiaodong Yin）
2."Bridging East and West through Physics: William Band at Yenching University" in Science and Technology in Modern China, 1880s-1940s,eds. Jing Tsu and Benjamin Elman (Leiden: E.J. Brill Press, April 2014).
3."科学史家许良英[Historian of Science Xu Liangying: A Short Biography]," 中国科技史杂志[The Chinese Journal for The History of Science and Technology], Vol. 35 No. 1 (2014): 49-61.（co-authored with Zuoyue Wang）
4."'Actions at a Distance': Martin Klein and Chinese Studies in the History of Modern Physics," 自然科学史研究[Studies in the History of Natural Sciences], Vol. 31, No.3 (2012): 343-359.
5."Martin J. Klein: From Physicist to Historian," Physics in Perspective: Volume 14, Issue 4 (2012): 498-507.
6."科学史研究的良心—记许良英先生言传身教二十余载[A Conscience in the Study of the History of Science—Professor Xu Liangying's instructions and role model for more than two decades]" (in王作跃等编[Zuoyue Wang et al., eds.]，《呼唤民主与人权：贺许良英先生九十寿辰》[Advocating Democracy and Human Rights: Essays in Honor of Xu Liangying on His 90th Birthday]，香港，明镜出版社 [Hong Kong: Mirror Books]，2012, pp. 137-165.
7."The Reception of Relativity in China," Isis, Vol. 98, No.3 (September 2007): 539-557.
8."周培源与相对论：清华时期的学习与研究[Peiyuan Chou and Relativity: Study and Research at Tsinghua University]" in 《清华大学与中国近现代科技史》[Tsinghua University and the History of Science and Technology in Modern China], eds. Yang Jian and Dai Wusan (Beijing: Tsinghua University Press, 2006), 170-189.
9."日本对于相对论在中国传播的影响 [The Japanese Influence on the Propagation of Relativity in China],"科学[Kexue or Science], Vol. 57, No. 6 (2005): 44-47.Kexueis a leading scientific periodical in China.An earlier English version of this article also appeared in 《多视野下的中国科学技术史研究—第十届国际中国科学史会议论文集》 [Multi-Aspects Studies on the History of Science and Technology in China: A proceedings for the 10th international conference on the history of science in China], eds. Jiang Zhenhuan (姜振寰) and Su Rongyu (苏荣誉) (Beijing: Science Press, 2009), 130-142.
10."Two Chinese Pioneers of Relativity," 自然科学史研究[Studies in the History of Natural Sciences], Vol. 24 Suppl. (July 2005): 90-110.
11."Einstein and Relativity in China, 1917-1979," in Albert Einstein—Engineer of the Universe: 100 Authors for Einstein, ed. Jürgen Renn (Weinheim, Germany: Wiley-VCH, 2005), 444-447.
12."Organized Criticism of Einstein and Relativity in China, 1968-1976," Historical Studies in the Physical and Biological Sciences, Volume 34, Part 2 (2004): 311-338.
Other invited contributions:
1."In memory of Xu Liangying (1920-2013)," Newsletter of the History of Science Society, Vol. 42, No. 3, July 2013.
2.Serving as the leading English translator for the album, 铁马野风—野夫的木刻艺术[Iron Horse and the Wild Wind: The Woodcut Art of Yefu], ed. Luo Yiping (Guangdong Art Museum), et al., Guangzhou, Guangdong: Lingnan Art Press, September 2010.
3."In memory of Martin J. Klein (1924-2009)," Newsletter of the History of Science Society, Vol. 38, No. 3, July 2009.
4."二十世纪中国科技史研究有感 [Remarks on the Research in the 20th Century Chinese History of Science and Technology]," 中国科技史杂志[The Chinese Journal for the History of Science and Technology], Vol. 28, no.4 (2007): 390-391.
5."相对论在中国[Relativity in China]" in 文汇报[Wenhui Bao], May 1, 2006.Wenhui Bao is a leading newspaper in Shanghai.
6."寻找通往物理学深处的新途径：马丁·克莱因及其爱因斯坦研究 [Finding New Paths to the Depths of Physics: Martin J. Klein and his Einstein Studies]," 科学, Vol. 57, no.5 (2005): 49-50.
1.Book review: Chunjuan Nancy Wei and Darryl E. Brock, eds. Mr. Science and Mao's Cultural Revolution: Science and Technology in Modern China (Lexington Books, 2013), Technology and Culture, Vol. 55 (January 2014): 270-273.
2.P. Kevin MacKeown. Early China Coast Meteorology: The Role of Hong Kong(Hong Kong University Press, 2011), Isis, Vol. 103, No.1 (March 2012): 196-197.
3.Benjamin A. Elman.A Cultural History of Modern Science in China, (Harvard, 2006), Isis,Vol. 98, No.3(September 2007): 613-614.
1."Studying Physics in America: A short examination of Chinese physicists in the early 20th century," The Institute Letter, IAS.
Honors &Awards (selected):
- Elected to the editorial board of Studies in the History of Natural Sciences [自然科学史研究]—the only national journal in the People's Republic of China devoted to interdisciplinary and comprehensive studies in the history of science, technology, and medicine.
- Visiting Scholar, Max Planck Institute for the History of Science, Berlin, Germany, April-July 2015
- Agnes Gund and Daniel Shapiro Member of the Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton, NJ, September 2014-April 2015.
- Scholar Incentive Award, The City University of New York, 27 August 2014—25 August 2015.
- Humanities Enrichment Grant, Division of Humanities &The Arts, The City College of New York, 2014-2015.
- PSC-CUNY Research Awards, 2015-16, 2013-14, 2011-12, 2009-10, 2008-09, 2007-08, 2006-07
- Visiting research fellow (2006-2011): The Institute for History of Natural Science (IHNS), Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), Beijing, China
- 2011-2012 Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Research Fellowship for US-based scholars at the Needham Research Institute, Cambridge, U.K.
- K.C. Wong Education Foundation Research Grant, the Chinese Academy of Sciences (中国科学院王宽诚科研奖金), 2011-2012.
- Visiting Professor (Fall 2011): Center for History and Philosophy of Science, Peking University;Department of History of Science, University of Science and Technology of China.
- Visiting Scholar at Max Planck Institute for History of Science, Berlin, Germany, July 1-28, 2007.
- My book Ai yin si tan zai zhong guo爱因斯坦在中国 [Einstein in China] was elected as one of the ten best books published in China in 2006 by editors of influential Zhonghua dushu bao 中华读书报[China Book Weekly] (December 20)
- Invited by the Princeton University Bookstore to attend its book signing event in Princeton, NJ (October 2005)
- Chunhui Research Grant [春晖科研奖金], Chinese Ministry of Education.Host Institution: Tsinghua University, Beijing, 2004.
- John Clarke Slater Fellowship for 1998, American Philosophical Society (only one recipient each year)