Faculty and Staff Profiles
Latif M. Jiji
Herbert Kayser Professor Director, Sustainability in the Urban Environment
Herbert Kayser Professor
Director, Sustainability in the Urban Environment
Steinman Hall ST - 225
<< Back To Directory
Teaching University of Toledo New York University The City College (1964)
- B.S., 1952, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- M.S. (Mech.Engr.), 1953, Carnegie Institute of Technology.
- M.S. (Aeroscience), 1958, University of Michigan.
- Ph.D. (Mech. Engr.), 1962, University of Michigan.
- Heat Transfer
- Conduction Heat Transfer
- Convection Heat Transfer
- Flow and heat transfer in microchannels
- Conduction with phase transformation
- Energy conservation in roofs
- Cooling of microelectronics
- Jet impingement heat transfer
- Educational material for sustainability programs
- Jiji, Latif M., Heat Transfer Essentials, Third Edition, 297 pages, Quadratic Press, New York, 2013.
- Jiji, Latif M., Heat Convection, Second Edition, 543 pages, Springer Berlin Heidelberg New York, 2010.
- Jiji, Latif M., Heat Conduction, Third Edition, 418 pages, Springer Berlin Heidelberg New York, 2009.
- Jiji, Latif M., Heat Convection, 434 pages, Springer Berlin Heidelberg New York, 2006.
- Jiji, Latif M., Heat Conduction, Second Edition, Begell House, Inc., 261 pages, New York, 2003.
- Jiji, Latif M., Heat Transfer Essentials, Second Edition, 235 pages, Begell House, Inc., New York, 2002.
- Jiji, Latif M., Heat Conduction, Begell House, Inc., New York, 2000.
- Jiji, Latif M., Heat Transfer Essentials, 228 pages, Begell House, Inc., New York, 1998.
Recent Journal Articles:
- Jiji, L.M., I. S. Schonfeld and G. A. Smith, Capstone Interdisciplinary Team Project: A Requirement for the MS in Sustainability Degree, in review, 2013.
- Jiji, L.M. and A.H. Danesh-Yazdi, "Flow and Heat Transfer in Micro-Cylindrical Gas-Liquid Couette Flow," in press, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 54, issues 13-14, 2913-2920, 2011.
- Delale, F., B.M. Liaw, L.M. Jiji, I. Voiculescu and H. Yu, "Infusion of Emerging technologies and New Teaching Methods into the Mechanical Engineering Curriculum at the City College of New York," Journal of Advances in Engineering Education, Vol. 2, No. 4, Summer 2011.
- Jiji, L.M. and G.A. Smith, "Sustainability and the City: CCNY's New M.S. Program," Sustainability: The Journal of Records, Vol. 4, No. 2, 66-70, April 2011.
- Jiji, L. M., and P. Ganatos, “Microscale Flow and Heat Transfer between Rotating Disks,” in press, International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, 2010.
- Jiji, L. M., and P. Ganatos, “Approximate Analytical Solution for One-Dimensional tissue Freezing around Cylindrical Cryoprobes,” International Journal of Thermal Sciences, Vol. 48, pp. 547-553, 2009.
- Jiji, L. M., “Effect of Rarefaction, Dissipation, and Accommodating Coefficients on Heat Transfer in Micro Cylindrical Couette Flow,” Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 130, pp. 042404-1 to 042404-8, 2008.
- Jiji, L. M., and P. Ganatos, “Freezing of Blood Perfuse Tissue: An Improved Quasi-Steady Solution,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 51, 5679-5686, 2008.
- Jiji, L. M. and S. Gaye, “Analysis of Solidification and Melting of PCM with Energy Generation,” Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 26, 568-573, 2006.
Selected Honors and Awards
- American Society of Engineering Education, winner of the 2008 Ralph Coats Roe Award for outstanding teaching and contribution to engineering education. A national award given annually to a single recipient.
- Fulbright Scholar, 2004-2005, Senegal, lecturing and research at Universite Cheikh Anta Diop.
- School of Engineering Outstanding Teacher Award, first recipient, (2002-2003).
- Outstanding Teacher Award, The City College, 1988.
- Outstanding Academic Achievement Award, 1985, The City University of New York.
- Best Professor of the Year 2006-2007, Mechanical Engineering Department, by the Undergraduate Student Government, The City College
- Teacher of the Year, Mechanical Engineering Dept., The City College, 1990, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003.
- Best Teacher Award, 1969, 1970, 1975, 1980, 1985, Pi Tau Sigma, Department of Mechanical Engineering, The City College.
- Outstanding Mentoring and Service to the Students (The Office of Student Programs- PRES), 2001.
- The Classic Paper Award, 2000, by the Heat Transfer Division of ASME for “A New Simplified Bioheat Equation for the Effect of Blood Flow on Local Average Tissue Temperature,” Weinbaum, S., and L. M. Jiji, ASME J. Biomech. Eng., Vol. 107, pp. 131-139, 1985.
- Outstanding Academic Titles, listed by Choice, Current Reviews for Academic Libraries, as the author of Heat Transfer Essentials: a Textbook, 1999.
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 1997.
- Faculty Advisor Award, 1997, an ASME national award given annually to a single recipient.
- Faculty Service Award, 1995, The Alumni Association of the City College of New York. A single award given annually.