Share This

Step 1: Choosing Your Program

Graduate Degree Overview

Graduate study is open to qualified students who possess a bachelor’s degree from an accredited U.S. college or university or the equivalent from a foreign institution and an adequate background in the field of study that they wish to pursue. Normally the equivalent of an undergraduate major in the field is required, but the final judgment of preparation remains with the departments concerned and the Divisional Dean. Graduate credits used to meet undergraduate degree requirements cannot be transferred to a graduate program.

For each advanced degree, there is an approved course of study that meets University and department requirements. Department requirements are listed in the City College Graduate Bulletin. A brief summary of the unit requirements for each degree is presented below.

Bernard and Anne Spitzer School of Architecture

Students are admitted to the Master of Architecture I program after completing a liberal arts education. The Master of Architecture II program is directed at students who already hold a first professional degree in architecture, wish to deepen their design abilities and expand their knowledge of contemporary theory, technology and environmental systems. Each candidate for a Master of Architecture I degree must complete at least 108 credits. The Master in Architecture II requires 48 credits. A minimum of 32 credits is needed for the Masters in Urban Design degree. Click here apply now!

School of Education

Degree candidates are required to be matriculants and to complete the minimum number of graduate credits in an approved program of study (not less than 30), to pass a written Qualifying Examination (unless a B average is achieved at graduation), and to complete Introduction to Educational Research (EDUC 0000I) and Individual Study in Educational Research (EDUC 0100I) or designated equivalent courses.

Grove School of Engineering

Each candidate for a master’s degree in Engineering or Computer Science must complete at least 30 credits as approved by the department and the Dean. A Master of Science Degree (M.S.) is awarded to students who do not have a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering. Students who have taken graduate work at other institutions may receive up to six credits (nine with the approval of the Committee on Course and Standing) provided that the material is equivalent to a graduate course taught at the college and that it was completed with a grade of B or better within a five-year period preceding matriculation at The City College. The Computer Science Program is only open to students with a computer science baccalaureate degree or extensive undergraduate course work in the field of study. Click here to apply now!

College of Liberal Arts and Science

Division of Humanities and the Arts

Division of Science

Division of Social Sciences

Division of Interdisciplinary Studies at the Center for Worker Education (CWE)

Click here to apply now!

At City College the minimum requirement for a graduate degree is 30 credits. However, some departments have a higher credit requirement. At the discretion of the department, work done at another university as a graduate student, after conferral of the bachelor’s degree may be used to meet department requirements. Applicants may be required by some departments to appear for a personal interview. Click here for an application.

Doctoral Programs

Beginning in Fall 2008, The City College started offering doctoral degrees in Engineering (Biomedical, Chemical, Civil, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering) previously offered by the City University (CUNY) Graduate Center. Click here to apply now!

Also in Fall 2008, The College will begin offering joint degrees in Science (Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry and Physics) with the City University Graduate Center. As in the past, Ph.D programs in Computer Science, Clinical Psychology, Experimental Cognition and Earth and Environment Sciences continue to be based wholly or in part at the City College campus. For additional information about these programs contact the City University Graduate Center located at 365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10036 or on the web at or contact them at (212) 817-7000.