Share This

Non-Degree Students

Are you interested in taking undergraduate courses as a Non-Degree Student?

A non-degree (non-matriculated) is a student taking credit bearing courses but not pursuing a baccalaureate degree. City College matriculated students(degree candidates) have first priority for registration. Non-degree students register for courses on a space available basis. Student's must demonstrate course pre-requisites and may need approval from the respective division of the College. Non-degree students are not allowed to register for courses in the Grove School of Engineering or the Spitzer School of Architecture. Non-degree students register in-person after degree students have completed their registration. As a Non-degree student, you may take up to 24 credits in this status. Students wishing to pursue a degree should not apply as a non-degree student. Non-degree students are not eligible for financial aid and pay a higher tuition rate than degree students.

High school graduates with or without college credits or a visiting student from a Non-CUNY College

Students applying for non-degree status must submit proof of high school graduation or the General Education Development Diploma (GED). These courses are primarily for personal enrichment. If you are a visiting student or attended another college, you can present an unofficial copy of a transcript as proof of prior education. Additional requirements or restrictions may apply for specific course(s) or program(s) at the College. Recent high school graduates must show exemptions from CUNY Skills to be allowed to register as non-degree students. (*If you are presenting educational credentials in a language other than English, you must also supply official translations and demonstrate proficiency in English if official language of the home country is not English). International students must demonstrate English proficiency unless they are a permanent resident. City College reserved the right not to admit students into non-degree status based on prior educational background.

Bachelor's degree holders (Post-Baccaluareate)

A Post Baccalaureate student is an individual who has completed the bachelor's degree or higher and wishes to take undergraduate courses. Applicants must verify education by submitting either a copy of their college degree or a final transcript stating degree and date received to the Office of Admissions. (*If you are presenting educational credentials in a language other than English, you must also supply official translations.)

Visiting Student from CUNY Colleges

Students visiting from other CUNY Colleges should check the web site of their home college for information on the “E-Permit” system. “E-Permits” are filed on the CUNY web site at:

Senior Citizen

If you are over the age of sixty you are eligible to apply for the Senior Citizen Program. You pay no tuition if you are registering for courses on an audit basis. There is a $65.00 General Fee that will be charged at the time of registration. Senior Citizens are also responsible for the $15.00 Consolidated Services Fee and any other fee charges related to the course. To participate in the program applicants must be New York State residents and must submit verification. The following forms of proof of age will be acceptable for admission:

  1. Medicaid Card
  2. Driver’s License
  3. Birth Certificate
  4. U.S. Passport

High School Seniors and College Now Participants

High school students interested in taking college courses and are attending New York City Department of Education high schools should contact the College Now Coordinator at (212 650-5641). Other high school students may register for courses on a limited basis.

Application Fee/Requirements

A $65.00 non-refundable application fee is required for all applicants. The application fee will be collected at the time of registration. Students currently enrolled at the undergraduate level at another CUNY college will have their application fee waived, provided proof is shown at time of application. Senior citizen and high school students enrolling under the auspices of the College Now program will not be charged an application fee.

Immunization Requirements

If your date of birth is after December 31, 1956, New York State Law requires proof of two immunizations for measles and one immunization for mumps and rubella before you register for college if you plan to register for 6 or more credits. Please bring proof to the Wellness and Counseling Center, J-15, in the Marshak Science Building prior to registration.

New York State Residency

Any information on this application, which indicates prior residence outside of New York State, will require additional documentation to prove residency in New York State for tuition purposes. Students may have to provide documents to verify that they have resided in N.Y.S. for at least 1 year prior to the semester of enrollment. Living in dormitory facilities in New York State does not constitute N.Y.S. residency. Students under the age of 24 whose parents or legal guardian live outside N.Y. may be considered non-residents. Please contact the Office of Admissions for additional information or for the CUNY Residency guidelines and application click here.

Deadlines: Fall Semester: August 1st                                                             Spring Semester: January 1st
(Applications maybe accepted after these dates. Check with the Office of Admissions for additional information)

Summer and Winter Sessions: Check our website for the class schedule and application.


For additional information, call (212) 650-6977.

Note: The City College of New York is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Institution. The City College of New York does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, genetic predisposition or carrier status, religion, race, color, creed, national or ethnic origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital status, alienage or citizenship status, or veteran’s status in its student admissions, employment, access to programs and administration of educational policies. The college reserves the right to deny admission to any student if, in its judgment, the presence of that student on campus poses an undue risk to the safety or security of the college or the college community. The College offers services and assistance to students with disabilities. Questions can be directed to the Office of Student Disability Services at (212) 650-5913.