Share This
Bilingual Education & TESOL Programs

Graduation and Certification


Students must apply for graduation several months prior to the expected date of graduation. You can apply online, by clicking here. Check with your advisor to make sure you have met all the requirements for graduation. If you discover that you will not be able to graduate as planned, you must rescind your application at the registrar's office and reapply for the next graduation (see dates below). In order to graduate, all stops on your record must be cleared, including bursar, library, financial aid, etc.

Please note the following application periods:

For February Graduation Apply between July 1 - November 1
For June Graduation Apply between November 1 - March 1
For September Graduation Apply between April 1- July 1


How do I apply for State certification?

The process of applying for certification consists oftwo parts: the student's responsibility and the College's. You must file an application with NYS through their TEACH Online Services application system. You can do this by downloading the Student Information Sheet from the Certification Office website and following the steps carefully. The College's responsibility is to submit an electronic recommendation on your behalf, which is done once the Bilingual Education and TESOL Program completes a degree audit and submits it to the College's Certification Officer, Mr. Kurt Brown. This is generally donearound the time of graduation (February, September, and June), after all grades are in for the most recent semester. Once both pieces of information are in the State system, an evaluation will be done. If all items are satisfied, the State will issue the certificate, and you will appear in the State system as certified. The physical certificate should be mailed out immediately and you would normally receive it within a couple of weeks.

If you are ready to be certified and are not graduating (because you arein Bilingual Extension or TESOL D course of study –which do not lead to academic degrees) then send an email to your advisor to request that the School of Education submit to New York State an institutional recommendation for certification. Note that requests for certification recommendation must be completed by the same dates as applications for graduation (see dates in above chart).

What State certification exams do I have to take?

New York State has announced plans to change testing requirements for anyone graduating on or after May 1, 2014. However, the requirements described here are currently in effect. For more information go to:

The following are the requirements for New York State certification for candidates who will complete their program requirements prior to May 1, 2014:

  • Bilingual Childhood Education, candidates must pass the LAST, ATS-W, the CST-Multi-subject, and the BEA (Bilingual Education Assessment).
  • Bilingual(General)Education(StreamB),candidates must pass the BEA(Bilingua lEducation Assessment), in addition to the required exams for their area of certification.
  • Bilingual extension candidates must pass the BEA (Bilingual Education Assessment).
  • TESOL masters candidates must pass the LAST, ATS-W, and the CST-ESOL.
  • TESOL Certificate candidates must pass the CST-ESOL

Please note that these requirements are set by the State, not by City College, and are subject to change. Check the New York State website for more and current information. Passing these exams is not a requirement for graduation, but they are required for State teaching certification.(Note:The LAST is currently required for admissions into all initial certification streams; a passing score on the target language sub-section of BEA may substitute at admission for the Program's Bilingual Proficiency Exam.)

What are the changes to State certification exams for candidates earning their first initial certificate after May 1, 2014?
Graduating in or before February 2014
Graduating IN or After May 2014
  • LAST
  • ATS-W
  • CST (older version)
  • ALST (Academic Literacy Test)
  • EAS (Educating All Students)
  • edTPA
  • CST (older* or newer version)

*older CST's will be grandfathered


Q:  Who has to take the edTPA?
A:  Only people applying for their first initial teaching certificate, after May 1, 2014.

Q:  If I already took the LAST or ATS-W but will not be graduating until May 2014, will those exams count toward certification?
A: Unfortunately no.

Q: What if I took the CST years ago and I am not graduating until after May 2014?  Does that CST still count?
A: Yes

Q:  What if I am already certified in one subject area, and I am getting a second certification after April 30, 2014?  Do I need to retake all these exams, or just the new CST?
A:  Just the CST in the area of your new certification.

Q:  Is this information the same whether I am a graduate student or undergraduate?
A:  Yes.

Q:  What about the BEA, for the Bilingual Extension?
A:  The BEA is still required for the Bilingual Extension; if you have already passed the BEA, there is no need to retake it.

Q:  What about Teaching Fellows?
A:  Regulations are slightly different for Fellows graduating in Spring 2014.  See your department chair for more information.

For more information:

Where can I find more information?

You can find instructions for the Teach Online system here:

Student Information Sheet

What are the program codes that are needed for the TEACH Online system?

Note that students in Bilingual Childhood Education (Streams A, B, & C) enter two codes each. Other students enter one code:

TESOL (Streams A & C): 25885
TESOL Certificate (Stream D) : 35519
TESOL (Fellows): 25884
Bilingual Childhood Education (Streams A &C):
Childhood Education: 25906
Bilingual Extension: 25901
Bilingual Childhood Education (Fellows): 25902
Bilingual Education (Stream B)
Bilingual Extension: 25901
Bilingual Special Education (Streams I & II):
Students w/ Disabilities 1-6: 25896
Bilingual Extension: 25901
Bilingual Special Education Fellows: Please see your advisor
Bilingual Childhood Education: 25926

Please contact the College's certification officer, Mr. Kurt Brown in NAC 3/213 (, for more information or with questions about certification.