City College will close today, January 26, 2015, at 3 p.m. due to inclement weather. Only essential personnel are expected to report to or remain at work for regular business hours. The college is closed Tuesday, January 27, 2015. Only essential personnel report to work.

Share This

BS/MS Program

The Chemistry Department offers a combined B.S./M.S. degree to Chemistry majors.  Students are expected to complete the combined degree program in 5 years and will be required to write a thesis.  Students must apply for the program in their third year and must get a recommendation letter from a faculty mentor.  Research is mandatory; students will complete 3 semesters of Honors Research as undergraduates and 2 semesters of M.S. Thesis work.

Tentative Curriculum Outline

As of now, majors will only be able to receive a combined B.S./M.S. degree in Chemistry.  A combined B.S./M.S. degree in Biochemistry is expected in the near future.

How To Apply

Application Deadlines
January 15 and May 30 of each year (if the deadline falls on a holiday, applications will be due the previous working day).
In order to be eligible you should:

  • have 75 course credits
  • have a cumulative 3.0 GPA
  • have a 3.0 GPA in Chemistry courses
  • have completed one semester of honors research

If you meet these eligibility requirements:

  • complete both pages of the application form fully
  • attach an unofficial copy of your transcript
  • provide a recommendation letter from your honors research mentor in a sealed envelope

Submit applications to:
Prof. Simon Simms
The City College of New York
Department of Chemistry
160 Convent Avenue
New York, NY 10031
Tel: (212)-650-8402

Additional Information

Biochemistry majors can apply for and be admitted to the 5-year Chemistry B.S./M.S. program but those students will need to take chemistry courses towards the degree (i.e. no substitutions with biochemistry courses).

Teaching Assistantships: students in the B.S./M.S. program can become eligible for financial assistance via teaching assistantships.  For this you will be required to take the General GRE test and obtain a good score.  This will be strict requirement.