Info for Graduates
TIME: Students must be in line no later than 9:45 a.m. Ceremony begins promptly at 10:00 a.m.
WHERE: Commencement Plaza (NAC Parking Lot) - Convent Avenue at 135th Street - See below for information about where to line up with your school or division.
The Commencement will be webcast live. Tell your friends and relatives to go to the College homepage or the CCNY webstream to watch it online from anywhere in the world.
TICKETSYou do not need a ticket for commencement but tickets for guests* are required. The tickets are free and are to be picked up when you pick up your cap and gown. (See below.)
Due to Fire Code Safety Laws, each graduating senior will be given only THREE tickets, to be picked up when you pick up your cap and gown. Students who graduated in September 2012 and February 2013, as well as candidates for graduation in May 2013 and September 2013 are eligible for tickets. If you need more than three, you will need to negotiate with another graduate.
Tickets may be picked up when you pick up your regalia on May 24, 28, 29, and 30th and CWE on May 23rd. You will need your student ID or driver's license to receive your tickets. If you cannot pick up your tickets on the above dates, a friend can pick them up for you. Your friend must bring a copy of your ID and a signed note from you saying he or she is authorized to pick up your tickets; your name will be crossed off the list, and you will not be able to pick up tickets at another time.
* Every guest who needs a seat, needs a ticket. Infants and toddlers (age 2 and under) who will sit on adult's laps do not need tickets. For guests without tickets, we will have screens with the live feed in the Aronow Theater and NAC Room 0/201.
CAPS AND GOWNS (REGALIA)There are three ways to order you cap and gown:
- You can pre-order them at the Graduate Salute on April 23 and 24 in the Great Hall or on April 25 at CWE. They must be paid in full with cash.
- You can pre-order them online directly from Herff Jones and pay in full by credit or debit card. The deadline is April 26th to pre-order.
- You can order and pick up both your cap and gown in NAC 1/211 on the following dates and times. Cash, money orders, credit card and debit cards will be accepted for payment. No personal checks (http://www.ccny.cuny.edu/commencement/graduates.cfm) will be accepted
- Friday, May 24, 2013 from 11:30 am - 4:00 pm
- Tuesday, May 28, 2013from 11:30 a.m. to 6:30 pm
- Wednesday, May 29, 2013from 11:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Thursday, May 30, 2013from 11:30 am to 6:30 p.m.
- Friday, May 31st from 8:00 am to 9:30 am (No tickets are available on this date.)
CWE Students can also order and pick up their caps and gowns on May 23 in the CWE Auditorium (25 Broadway) from 4:00pm to 7:00pmIF YOU PRE-ORDERED YOUR REGALIA AT THE GRADUATE SALUTE OR ONLINE, YOU WILL PICK THEM UP ON THE ABOVE DATES, ALONG WITH YOUR TICKETS.
- Bachelor Student Keeper Cap. Gown and Tassel - $27.00
- Master Student Keeper Cap, Gown, Tassel and Hood - $53.00
ABOUT YOUR REGALIA
- CCNY undergraduate students do not wear hoods.
- CCNY caps have tassels in the school colors.
- CCNY graduate students wear hoods colored according to their degree.
Wear your academic robe closed. Your cap should be centered on your head with the mortarboard (the top) flat, not tilted. Caps tend to slip; hairpins will help. No jeans please; wear shoes, not sneakers. For undergraduates, the tassel on your cap should be worn in front on the right side; they will be switched to the left when the President confers the degrees near the end of the ceremony. The cap and gown are yours to keep.
ASSEMBLY LOCATION FOR GRADUATES
Graduates may begin to line up at 9:15 AM and must be lined up by 9:45 AM. See Commencement map (PDF)
- CWE, Engineering, Architecture, and Education will line up on the path between Spitzer and Aaron Davis Hall.
- Science, Sophie Davis, Humanities, and Social Sciences will line up on the sidewalk between 135th and 133 Street and Convent Avenue.
For students with mobility issues please contact AccessAbility Center (Student Disability Services) at 212-650-5913.
WEATHERThe ceremony will go on rain or shine. You and your guests should prepare for the possibility of inclement weather and bright sunlight.
DURING THE CEREMONY
Please emphasize to your guests that aisles and walkways must remain clear and that they and you must remain seated during the entire ceremony and procession.
Programs will be on your chairs. They will contain the names of September 2012 and February 2013 graduates, and May 2013 candidates for graduation, as provided by the Office of the Registrar.
The Commencement ceremony will not be professionally photographed. Photo locations will be set up for public use from 8:15 a.m. to 9.00 a.m. and for an hour after the ceremony.
SPECIAL GRADUATE OFFERS
City College Campus Dining – food, snacks & beverages
City College Campus Bookstore – graduation gifts, diploma frames, CCNY spirit merchandise
DIPLOMASDiplomas are not presented at Commencement. Students will be notified by mail when they are available for pick up. Be sure the Registrar's office has your correct address.
For further information please call the Registrar's office at tel. 212-650-7861.
PARKINGNo parking will be available on campus. We recommend that you start early and take public transportation, car-pool, or get dropped off if possible. The following is a list of public parking lots near CCNY:
- MPG Uptown 2, LLC
3333 Broadway (between 134th & Riverside Drive)
Open 24 Hours, 7 Days a Week.
- MTP Operating Corp.
265 Edgccombe Avenue at 145th Street
Open every day from 7 am-7 pm
Entrance on Edgecombe (One Way Street) Go North of 145th Street on St. Nicholas Avenue and make the first right turn. Go to Edgecombe Avenue and make a right turn. Go to the entrance to the garage at 145th Street.
- MTP Parking
90 Old Broadway (between 131st & 133rd Street)
Open 24 Hours, 7 Days a Week
- Y&H Garage
526-534 West 134th Street (between Broadway & Amsterdam Avenue)
Open 24 Hours, 7 Days a Week