Share This
School of Education

About Us

By-Laws

Conceptual Framework

NCATE

Vision Statement

Approved February 19, 2009

The School of Education of The City College of New York prepares educators to support students of our diverse citizenry to meet the challenges of the 21st century and to be active participants in our democracy. To this end, we uphold and extend the college's historic mission of access and excellence for "the children of the whole people" of the City of New York.

As teachers, scholars, and learners, we seek to

  • Educate teachers and leaders who are responsive to the needs of urban schools, who can use students' diversity as a resource, and who can maximize learning for all;
  • Engage in scholarship that advances knowledge, informs policy, and improves practice so that all students have support and an opportunity to receive a quality education;
  • Join, encourage, advocate, teach, and learn in collaborative school and community improvement efforts locally, nationally, and internationally to help shape educational settings now and in the future.

Uniting our efforts is our commitment to education as a moral endeavor that can enhance the human condition, realize possibilities, and make the world a more just place.


History of the School of Education

1897
  • The Department of Philosophy introduced courses in "History of Education" and "Principles and Practices of Education," and announced a three-year program for students intending to teach.
  • Legislation was passed in New York State, requiring common school teachers to have a course in pedagogy.
1900
  • A three-year course in pedagogy was introduced, including training in logic, psychology, and teaching methods.
1906
  • CCNY establishes the Department of Education
  • Dr. Stephen P. Duggan (CCNY 1890) becomes first head of the Department
  • During the academic year 1906-07, the College moved from the old building on 23rd Street and Lexington Avenue to the new uptown campus, and the Department of Education was located in the Main Building, now Shepard Hall.
1913
  • The Educational Clinic was established, and fully equipped including a complete Montessori outfit.
1914
  • Evening courses in Education were introduced
1917
  • Women were first admitted to the College
  • Professor Duggan was succeeded by Professor Paul Klapper (CCNY 1904).
1921
  • The CCNY School of Education was established
1922
  • Professor Klapper was appointed Dean, School of Education and served until 1937 when he became the first president of Queens College.
1937 to present
  • Subsequent Deans have included Professor Samuel B. Heckman, Esek Ray Mosher, Egbert M. Turner, Harold H. Abelson, Doyle M. Bortner, Joshua L. Smith, Arnold W. Webb, James L. Neujahr, Leonard Beckum, Martin Marin, David Bushler, Samuel Frank, Edward R. Lilly, Alfred S. Posamentier, Doris Cintron, and the current Dean Mary E. Driscoll.