Share This

Program Policies


CORRESPONDENCE: The vast majority of Departmental correspondence, announcements and updates are sent via email to the CCNY accounts of all registered students. Therefore, it is expected that all registered students will regularly check for and read the Departmental correspondence sent to their CCNY accounts. Similarly, students should direct their questions for the Directors of the Program to their email accounts in the case that these questions cannot be addressed in person during advising hours.

ADVISING: It is expected that all students will periodically meet with the Program advisers during the course of their career at City. The Director of the Program is the lead adviser for the MA students, while the Deputy Director of the Program acts as the lead adviser for the BA/MA students. That said, both Directors are happy to meet with and to advise to the best of their abilities all the students in the Program. The Director, Deputy Director and other members of the Graduate History Committee all hold office hours on a regular basis during the Fall and Spring semesters.  The office hours of those advisers list both on the Department's physical bulletin board outside of NAC 5/144 as well as on the MA Program's website, which is usually updated in the second or third week of every semester. During the Fall and Spring semesters, appointments are not necessary for office hours: you should feel free to drop by, although it is recommended that you inform the adviser in advance to avoid scheduling conflicts with other students, etc. During the January and Summer breaks, advising is by appointment only; and the availability of the Directors and other members of the Graduate History Committee will vary with the schedules of their breaks which are usually structured by their many other non-curricular professional commitments. For that reason, during the breaks it is recommended that students address their queries for the Directors to their email accounts. In those interim periods, it is further recommended that students needing to complete paperwork, or the clarification of complex questions related to College policies, make an appointment with the full-time Graduate Adviser in the Dean of the Humanities Office, Migen Prifti (email:

THE ACADEMIC CALENDAR: Each semester the College publishes an academic calendar, upon which it lists not only the breaks but also the single most important curricular deadlines for the College community. To consult the Academic Calendar, go to: As these various deadlines regulate the curricular calendar of the MA Program in History it is imperative that each student consult the Academic Calendar at the beginning of each semester and therewith note all the deadlines that pertain to them on their own personal calendar. Among others, the deadlines for the registration for classes, for the resolution of "incompletes" and for the "withdrawal" from current classes all list upon the Academic Calendar.

REGISTRATION FOR CLASSES AND REGISTRATION BLOCKS: All entering students MUST be registered by an adviser in person, or after personal consultation. Therefore, entering student should inform themselves of the date and time of "Registration Day" for the semester that they are commencing the Program. This information is usually sent to all incoming students  at the email addresses they provided in their applications, or already have at the College. After their first semester in the Program all students are able to register for classes through the Registrar's website, unless there is a "block" on their record. (For registration, go to eSIMS by logging into the CUNY Portal at: .) Students should inform themselves of the dates for registration, which list on the Academic Calendar; and they should register for classes at the earliest date possible, in order to insure their admission to classes of their choice. (There are numerical caps on the sizes of all graduate courses in History.) There are various reasons for blocks, which can usually be deciphered by one of the Program advisers, or the Graduate Adviser in the Humanities Office.  For example, all students admitted with a condition, i.e., "conditional matrics," have a "Dean's Stop" on their records until the particular condition(s) for admission has been met by the student and reviewed/removed by the Dean's Office.  It is the responsibility of the student to resolve all blocks before the closure of registration for the upcoming semester; for this reason, it is strongly recommended that all students check their SIMS record well in advance of the closure of registration in order to identify and resolve in a timely manner any registration blocks.

DEGREE TIMETABLE AND COURSELOADS:  There are no fixed limits on the time-to- Degree completion required by the Program, but per College rules any student who  takes a leave of absence from the Program of a single semester or more  must apply either for "readmission" to the Program if that leave is less than five years  or for "admission" proper to the Program if that same leave is greater than five years. Be that as it may, each student is encouraged to devise a timetable for their individual program of study that can reasonably be completed with success. While each individualized Program will slightly differ from the next,  it is strongly recommended, although not required, that all students, both part- and full-time, will limit their first semester courseload to two classes. Generally, the Department recommends that students wishing to complete the Program in two years consider the following courseload: 2/3 in the first year and 3/2 in the second, or 2/2 + 1(break) in the first year and 3/2 in the second, or some variation thereon.

PROGRAM READMISSION: Students who take a leave of absence from the Program must apply for readmission in order to re-enroll in classes. If the leave is as little as a semester and less than five years, then the student should complete a "Readmission Application", a form which is available to them on the website of the Office of Admissions, and pay a minimal processing fee. (To apply for "readmission," complete the application at: If the leave is greater than five years, then the student must reapply to the Program as if they were applying for the first time, a process that requires the submission of one's full transcripts, three letters of recommendation, a personal statement and a writing sample, etc, as well as a full application fee. The Readmission Application should be submitted to the Office of Admissions at least three months prior to the first day of classes. The application will be reviewed by the Dean of the Division. Readmission is not guaranteed but contingent upon the applicant's demonstrable ability to remain in good standing and complete Degree requirements in a reasonable amount of time. Students whose GPAs had fallen below the 3.0 threshold for retention should also attach a letter of appeal for readmission to the Dean.

TRANSFER CREDITS: Students entering the Program who have done graduate-level coursework in History that was not part of their program of study/coursework for an awarded graduate degree may apply for transfer credits. To apply for transfer credit the student must complete their part of the "Application for Advanced Standing," a physical form available to them at the Office of Admissions.  Once completed, this application should then be consigned to the Program Director along with all the supporting materials necessary for their evaluation of the courses for which the student seeks CCNY credit:  that is, the official transcript documenting, the course syllabus describing and (all) the written work executed for each course. The Program normally accepts up to three courses/nine credits from other institutions provided that each course for which the student seeks credit is equivalent in both subject matter and required coursework to a CCNY offering. In truly exceptional cases, the Program may accept up to four courses/12 credits per College rules.

INDEPENDENT STUDY: In certain circumstances a student may wish to request an Independent Study of an instructor. Normally, Independent Study is only requested and granted to meet special student needs that are not covered by regular course offerings. The granting of an Independent Study is at the discretion of the individual faculty member.  In the case that the instructor agrees to supervise an Independent Study the student must complete with the instructor a "Request for Independent Study," a physical form available through the Office  of the Registrar, which must be returned/hand delivered to the Registrar's Office by the instructor themselves by the deadline for registration for Independent Study, which is usually two weeks after the commencement of classes. It is understood that each instructor will structure independent study courses differently and that the student should establish the content with the instructor and seek clarification of the individual instructor's availability, expectations and requirements for final work  before the submission of the "Request" to the Registrar. There are limits on the number of Independent Study courses that may count towards the degree at City College.  Per the Handbook on Academic Policies and Procedures (2008) these are the College guidelines regulating Independent Study; and these guidelines are generally followed by the Program in accordance with its graduation requirements and other basic rules governing Program retention:

  • students must have completed nine credits in the Program;
  • no more than four credits of Independent Study may be awarded per semester;
  • a maximum of nine credits in Independent Study may be credited towards the degree;  additionally no more than fifteen credits in both Independent Study and Fieldwork may be applied towards the degree;
  • a record of the specific topic approved for study for each student must be kept in the departmental file.


Students may apply to take graduate-level History courses at other CUNY institutions via "ePermit," which is an electronic application available through the CUNY portal. Please note the College's policy on ePermits, herewith cited  from the (College) Handbook (2008) with minor revisions/clarifications pertinent to our Program noted in []s:  "An authorized Permit Form and, now, e-permit allows the student to fulfill a degree requirement by taking a course or courses at another college. Several restrictions apply:  1) the student must meet the minimum G.P.A. ; 2) the college at which the permit course is taken must be a 4-year college [with an MA Program in History or in the student's field of study]; 3) the course must be approved [by the MA Program in History at The City College] (this evaluation will also determine the number of credits posted to The City College transcript).  It is imperative that the student request the [MA Program Director] to review and approve the course(s) to be taken; otherwise, the student may be wasting time, money and energy on coursework that is not applicable to the degree. …  Lastly, the student should follow-up [with the Registrar of the host institution for the transmission of their grade/transcript to the Office of the Registrar at CCNY] and [then] ensure that the course has been recorded on the[ir] official [CCNY] transcript." Once the course is recorded upon their CCNY transcript, the grade received for the same CUNY ePermit course will/should appear upon the student's transcript and it will/should count towards their cumulative GPA in the MA Program at CCNY.
Students may  also apply to take graduate-level History courses at other (i.e., non-CUNY) institutions via a "Permit," a physical form that is available to them through the Office of the Registrar at CCNY.  As in the above case, so in this one the student should seek the approval of the Program Director for the counting of such a course toward their work for the Degree prior to their registration for it. In addition, the student should know that grades received for the ePermit course(s) are not posted or calculated into the GPA of his/her home college. 

ATTENDANCE: Please note that the College's "Policy on Lateness and Absence" is: " Students are expected to attend every class session of each course in which they are enrolled and to be on time.  An instructor has the right to drop a student from a course for excessive absence. Students are advised to determine the instructor's policy at the first class session. They should note that an instructor may treat lateness as equivalent to absence. No distinction is made between excused and unexcused absences. Each instructor retains the right to establish his or her own policy, but students should be guided by the following general College policy: In courses designated as clinical, performance, laboratory or field work courses, the limit on absences is established by the individual instructor. For all other courses, the number of hours absent may not exceed twice the number of contact hours the course meets per week. When a student is dropped for excessive absence, the Registrar will enter the grade of a WU. A student may appeal this action to the [Graduate] Committee on Course and Standing in the [ Division of the Humanities)." (Cited from the Office of Admissions circular to MA Advisers, 2012 with pertinent revisions and clarifications in []s.)

WITHDRAWALS: In the case that a student  cannot reasonably complete the coursework for a class by the end of the semester it is very strongly recommended that the student "withdraw" from that class. To withdraw from a class the student must first obtain a "Withdrawal Form"from the Registrar’s Office or the Information Center in the NAC Lobby (NAC 1/205). The student should then: complete their part of the "Withdrawal Form"; submit the form to both their course instructor and adviser for signature and dating; and, finally, submit the completed form to the Dean's Office. Students who wish to withdraw from a class with a grade of “W” must effectively do so before the deadline for withdrawal set by the College and listed upon its academic calendar.

INCOMPLETES: In the case that the College deadline for withdrawal from classes has passed and a student cannot reasonably complete their work for a class in a timely manner it is incumbent upon the student to request an "incomplete" of their instructor well before the College deadline for the instructor's  submission of grades.For the assignment of an incomplete (“INC”) grade, the student must obtain an "Incomplete Agreement Form" from the Information Desk (NAC 1/205) or the Office of the Registrar (A 102).  The instructor must sign and document the conditions of the extension on the form.  The granting of the "incomplete" remains at the discretion of the instructor, and in the case that it is granted the student should hold themselves to any new deadline for the submission of missing work. At that time, the student should consign their remaining work  to their instructor for their submission  of a final grade to the Registrar. In the case that the instructor does not stipulate a new deadline for the missing work, students MUST consign their missing work to the instructor well before the effective deadline for the instructor's submission of a letter grade to replace the "INC": the College deadline for the resolution of incompletes in graduate courses lists on the Academic Calendar and must be respected. Per College rules,  unresolved incompletes--that is, incompletes for which a grade has not been received by the pertinent deadline--automatically become "F"s after the relevant date listed on the Academic Calendar.

RETENTION CRITERIA: The College enforces the maintenance of a 3.0 GPA for retention in its graduate programs. Any student whose GPAs falls below 3.0 is automatically placed on "academic probation" by the College. Should the student not restore their cumulative GPA to a 3.0 in that first semester on "academic probation," then the student is made "subject to dismissal" by the College. If placed on "academic probation" or made "subject to dismissal," a student is blocked from registration and must meet with the Program Director for advising in order to register for courses. If "subject to dismissal" a student must earn grades that restore their GPA to the 3.0 threshold for retention in the Program.

APPEALS: Some appeals should be addressed to individual faculty members while others must be made to the Dean of the Division of the Humanities. For example, appeals for changes in letter grades begin with the instructor with whom a course was taken and, in the case of irresolution at this or the subsequent stage, proceed to the Chair and, finally, Dean of the Division. Appeals for things that are rather regulated by College-wide policies should be made directly to the Dean of the Humanities.

CUNY Policy on Academic Integrity and the Pending grade “PEN”: Please note that the CUNY policy on academic integrity is: "The City University of New York provides its students with the intellectual tools to participate in the search for truth and understanding.  Therefore, all coursework that is submitted must be the result of a student’s independent analysis and synthesis.  Class work submitted in fulfillment of degree requirements should be based on academically valid research in the field, but it should not be a word-for-word copy of published sources, or the result of an unfair advantage taken in the examination room or any other venue.  In short, academic dishonesty, in any form, is strictly prohibited.  You can download a copy of the policy on ‘Academic Integrity’ from the CCNY website at   If the matter is brought before the AIO and/or the AIC, the instructor must assign the grade of “PEN” until a final determination is made by either agency." (Cited from the College's faculty handbook.)


Student Accessibility Center(AAC) NAC 1/218

The City College of New York complies with the ‘Americans with Disabilities Act’ in making academic adjustments for qualified students with disabilities.  Students who qualify for this consideration must present appropriate documentation to the Office of Student Disability Services, as well as to their instructors once they are certified.  Faculty and advisers should be aware that the college is not required to lower or effect substantial modifications of reasonable academic standards.  Finally, a student may not apply for such a qualificationafter the fact; in other words, if a student takes a course and then experiences difficulty in meeting the requirements of the course, he/she is not eligible for considerations based on disability if he/she has not been registered with the AAC prior to enrollment.  All students who claim disability should be registered with the AAC as soon as possible.

Office of International Student & Scholar Services (OISSS) NA 1/107

The Office of International Student & Scholar Services (OISSS) assists non-immigrant students and scholars with a variety of academic and counseling support services.  Non-immigrant students are defined as students who do not have permanent permission to reside in the U.S.  Professional counseling assistance is available for students with legal/immigration concerns, in addition to academic and personal problems.  

Immigration Services mandates that international students be required to register for a minimum of twelve credits (4 courses) per semester.  However, the school is allowed to determine what constitutes full-time study for international students: if the student is advised to reduce his/her course load, or if relevant courses are unavailable, the student may take less than the required 12 credits. A reduced courseload of 6 credits is permitted by Immigration in the student's first and last semesters, and should be requested and applied for in consultation with the MA Adviser in the Dean's Office, Migen Prifti (email:   As a three course load is the maximum load advisable within the MA Program in History at any time, international students are encouraged to inquire about and, where possible, may apply for "equated  full-time credits," or what is a courseload reduction, with the MA Adviser in the Dean's Office, Migen Prifti (email:

The Wellness and Counseling Center MR 15

The Wellness and Counseling Center provides Medical and Crisis Intervention Counseling to registered CCNY students campus-wide, as well as to those CCNY students living at the Towers. In addition, the WCC gives educational seminars and workshops through the departments at the college. Wellness and health insurance information are provided at the Rotunda to maximize the outreach to as many students as possible.

Medical Services include documenting student's measles, mumps and rubella inoculation, as well as information about Meningococcal Meningitis Vaccination. Over the counter medication is provided as well as evaluation of the students’ medical fitness to use the Wingate Fitness Center. Free follow-up services are provided to CCNY registered students, undergraduates, international and graduate students.

Office hours are from 9:00AM TO 5:00PM, Monday-Friday (with the exception of Tuesday when the hours are from 10:00AM TO 6:00PM) while classes are in session. For more information and to arrange medical and counseling appointments, please call (212) 650-8222. Appointments are encouraged but walk-ins are accommodated.

The CCNY Writing Center
The Writing Center offers one-on-one assistance for students working on writing assignments and projects from across the disciplines.  The Center also offers small group workshops on grammar, speech, reading comprehension and copyediting.  CPE Workshops are offered at the beginning of each semester.  Students are required to make appointments to see a writing center consultant.

For more information contact:

Prof. Barbara Naddeo

Director of M.A. Program

Tel: (212) 650-7470