Share This
Media Arts Production

Media Arts FAQs

When is the application deadline for next fall and when will the program begin accepting applications?

THE DEADLINE IS NOW MARCH 1st.  We begin to accept applications December 1st of each year.

When & where is the next Open House I can attend to learn more about this unique MFA program?

Our next Open House will be held at CCNY on Wed, November 12th, 2014; this is an all-day event from 12:30-8pm; please inquire and RSVP via 

Can I apply for admission/acceptance in the spring semester?

Acceptance is for FALL ONLY-- Each group begins together in the fall semester and moves on together to build and nurture production collaboration. Therefore, we cannot admit new students into the program during Spring semesters.


Can I enroll/attend as a part-time student?

The program is designed as FULL-TIME, therefore most students either work freelance or are employed on a contract basis, since working a full-time M-F/ 9am-5pm job along with attending this program is not feasible.


Can I enroll/attend as a non-matriculated student?

The program does not offer any of our courses on a non-matriculated, audit, exchange program or CUNY-BA basis. In order to take our courses, you will need to apply, and enroll in our full-time, matriculated film program.  


How long does it take to complete the Media Arts Production Program?

This program is full-time, 4-semesters (two years), 51 credits.


Do I need to take entrance exams?

Standardized entrance exams, such as GRE's are not required. However, foreign students must take the TOEFL test and achieve a standard minimum paper score of 575 (or 233 computerized, or 91 IBT).  We also accept the IELTS test with scores of 7 or higher.


What are the academic requirements for entrance?

Applicants must have a BA or BFA degree with a minimum 3.0 GPA in the major. International applicants MUST have an equivalency of a U.S. 4-year BA or BFA degree (this is determined by the UAPC).


How much is the tuition for this program?

In-state tuition is $4,825 per semester (up to 15 credits).  Out-of-state and International student tuition is $745 per credit hour.


Am I considered a New York State resident? 

You must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or in a qualifying non-immigrant status to qualify for the New York State resident tuition.  For more information on NYS residency, please contact the admissions office directly at: 212-650-6448 or via email at: or download the checklist via:


Are there any other fees?

You can anticipate at least $500 per year in materials fees, in addition to books and/or living expenses.  MFA students are also responsible for expenses related to film stock and transfers related to their thesis films, if they prefer to shoot film.


Are there any scholarships or graduate assistantships?

We do not offer any assistantships or paid teaching assistant positions. However, the department awards several departmental scholarships based on merit/performance in the program - most of which are awarded to students in their second year of study. There are also awards of cash and services given to winning films at The Annual Cityvisions Film Festival.  Students also have an opportunity in their final (Spring) semester of study in the program, to work as a TA in Film/Video classes that require assistants, in conjunction with Graduate Independent Study.


What about Financial Aid?

Students are also strongly encouraged to file a FAFSA application for federal and state financial aid, via:  which can also determine their eligibility for Federal Work Study (paid student hourly positions) within our department (placement varies per semester and based on the needs of department faculty).


Does the program subsidize thesis projects or offer production insurance?

Not directly.  We do, however, create an environment that is conducive to keeping costs to an absolute minimum.  We also offer production insurance (certificates of liability) exclusively for 2nd year MFA thesis projects only.


Are there internships or Independent Study opportunities?

Yes, although most are "unpaid" internships.  The program offers academic credit (1-3 credits) for internships and Independent Study projects (TA positions) assigned within the program, and at times may place students with outside agencies.


If I am accepted but cannot attend in the fall, can I defer my attendance to the next fall?

Unfortunately, no--you must re-apply for the following year. This means that you must re-submit new applications (and fees), portfolio reels, and any other supporting documents and be re-evaluated amongst a new pool of applicants.


Is there campus housing/dorms?

Yes, for more information on campus housing at The City College of NY, visit: For assistance with "off campus" student housing, please contact the Student Services Office at: 212-650-5370 to request a student housing assistance application, and also make an appointment with Mr. Carmelo Rodriquez, who will meet with you and refer you to vacancies nearby. For more information on off-campus housing, you can also visit: 


Who do I contact with International Student inquiries?

For information on I-20, financial certificate and/or transfer release forms, please contact please contact the admissions office directly at: 212-650-6448 or via email at:  For ALL other International Student inquiries such as immigration, employment, medical insurance, social security numbers, housing) please contact the International Students & Scholar Services at: (212) 650-8106 or via email at: or visit their website via:


What are the academic standards/requirements to stay matriculated in the program?

As a graduate program, we institute very high standards. Students must maintain a cumulative "B" (3.0) grade point average. If the GPA drops below 3.0, the student is automatically placed on probation for the next semester. If the cumulative GPA does not rise above 3.0 by the end of the next semester, the student will be dismissed from the program.