City College will close today, January 26, 2015, at 3 p.m. due to inclement weather. Only essential personnel are expected to report to or remain at work for regular business hours. The college is closed Tuesday, January 27, 2015. Only essential personnel report to work.
Director, Center for Advanced Technology & Center for Metamaterials
Grove School of EngineeringDepartment
Center for Advanced Technology
Steinman Hall ST - 614
p: (212) 650-5330
f: (212) 650-8249
ProfileDavid Crouse received his Electrical Engineering PhD from Cornell University in 2002 and an Honors Physics BS from Purdue University in 1997. He is currently an Associate Professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering at The City College of New York, Director of the Center for Advanced Technology in Photonics Applications, Director of the National Science Foundation Industry/University Cooperative Research Center for Metamaterials (CfM). Dr. Crouse's research interests include nanotechnology and engineered composite materials, including photonic crystals, plasmonics, metamaterials, transformational optics, and associated devices. Dr. Crouse's laboratory works closely with industry to transition fundamental research concepts to applied R&D projects and commercialization.
- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, Cornell University, 2002.
- B.S., Physics, Purdue University, 1997.
- EE 33900 Physics of Semiconductor Materials
- EE 44100 Semiconductor Materials and Devices
- EE 33000 Introduction to Electromagnetism
- EE 33300 Introduction to Antennas, Microwaves and Fiber Optics
- EE 59800 Senior Design
- EE F5400 Physical Electronics I
- EE I0800 Physical Electronics II
- EE I3600 MOSFET Devices and Circuits. Lectures
- EE I0300 Electrodynamics (Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics)
Research InterestsDr. Crouse's Electromagentic Materials Laboratory performs fundamental and applied research on metamaterials, photonic and plasmonic crystals, and other engineered composite structures. Advanced optical concepts such as light harvesting, slow and fast light, light trapping, light-plasmon interactions, photon sorting, transformational optics are used to study fundamental properties of light-materials interactions and to apply these concepts to the development of next-generation optoelectronic devices. Researchers in Dr. Crouse's laboratory work closely with many partnering companies and government agencies to develop advanced imaging systems, solar cells, green energy devices such as bio-fuel generating devices, chemical/biological sensors, and electromagnetic beam steerers and beam forming.
- Photon-sorting for dual wavelength infrared detection and imaging
- Actively tunable metasurfaces for microwave beam steering and forming
- Enhanced Vivaldi antennas using metamaterials
- Metasurface backplanes for compact antenna systems
- Transformational optics and metasurfaces – application of curved space to electromagnetism
- Solar-blind photodetectors using metamaterials
- Actively tunable infrared focal plane array imaging systems
- Dispersion engineering of surface plasmons
- Analysis of reconfigurable THz metasurfaces using pump-probe ultrafast laser systems
- Mandel, Isroel M., Andrii B. Golovin, and David T. Crouse. "Fano phase resonances in multilayer metal-dielectric compound gratings." Physical Review A 87.5 (2013): 053847.
- Mandel, I. M., Golovin, A. B., & Crouse, D. T. (2013). Analytical description of the dispersion relation for phase resonances in compound transmission gratings. Physical Review A, 87(5), 053833.
- Mandel, I., Gollub, J., Bendoym, I., & Crouse, D. (2013). Theory and Design of A Novel Integrated Polarimetric Sensor Utilizing a Light Sorting Metamaterial Grating.
- Enemuo, A., Nolan, M., Uk Jung, Y., Golovin, A. B., & Crouse, D. T. (2013). Extraordinary light circulation and concentration of s-and p-polarized phase resonances. Journal of Applied Physics, 113(1), 014907-014907.
- Lansey, E., Hooper, I. R., Gollub, J. N., Hibbins, A. P., & Crouse, D. T. (2012). Light localization, photon sorting, and enhanced absorption in subwavelength cavity arrays. Optics express, 20(22), 24226-24236.
- Mandel, I., Lansey, E., Gollub, J. N., & Crouse, D. T. (2012, October). An effective cavity resonance model for enhanced optical transmission through a periodic array of subwavelength square apertures. In SPIE NanoScience+ Engineering (pp. 845735-845735). International Society for Optics and Photonics.
- Bendoym, I., Golovin, A. B., & Crouse, D. T. (2012). The light filtering and guiding properties of high finesse phase resonant compound gratings. Optics Express, 20(20), 22830-22846.
- Lansey, E., Pishbin, N., Gollub, J. N., & Crouse, D. T. (2012). Analytical analysis of the resonance response of subwavelength nanoscale cylindrical apertures in metal at near-ultraviolet, optical, and near-infrared frequencies. Journal of the Optical Society of America B: Optical Physics, 29(3), 262-267.
- Lansey, E., Mandel, I., Gollub, J., & Crouse, D. (2012). A new theoretical model for enhanced optical transmission through thin films. Bulletin of the American Physical Society, 57.
- Bendoym, I., Pishbin, N., Lansey, E., & Crouse, D. T. (2011). Rapidly optimizing optoelectronic devices using full wave 3d simulation software. Physics and Simulation of Optoelectronic Devices, 19(7933), 793327.
- Lansey, E., & Crouse, D. T. (2010, August). Design of photonic metamaterial multi-junction solar cells using rigorous coupled wave analysis. In SPIE Solar Energy+ Technology (pp. 777205-777205). International Society for Optics and Photonics.
- Crouse, D. (2009, January). Polarization independent lensing and superbeaming in plasmonic crystals and applications to focal plane arrays. InIEEE/LEOS Winter Topicals Meeting Series, 2009 (pp. 50-51). IEEE.
- Crouse, D. (2008, August). Controlling and measuring the polarization state of light using compound gratings and other plasmonic/photonic crystal structures and applications to polarimetric sensors. In Optical Engineering+ Applications(pp. 70650G-70650G). International Society for Optics and Photonics.
- Crouse, M. M., James, T. L., & Crouse, D. (2008, August). Fabrication, characterization of II-VI semiconductor nanowires and applications in infrared focal plane arrays. In Optical Engineering+ Applications (pp. 70950J-70950J). International Society for Optics and Photonics.
- Crouse, D., Jaquay, E., Maikal, A., & Hibbins, A. P. (2008). Light circulation and weaving in periodically patterned structures. Physical Review B, 77(19), 195437.
- Crouse, D., Hibbins, A. P., & Lockyear, M. J. (2008). Tuning the polarization state of enhanced transmission in gratings. Applied Physics Letters, 92(19), 191105-191105.
- Ikram, A. A., Crouse, D. T., & Crouse, M. M. (2007). Electrochemical fabrication of cadmium telluride quantum dots using porous anodized aluminum on a silicon substrate. Materials Letters, 61(17), 3666-3668.
- Crouse, D, "X-ray Diffraction and the Discovery of the Structure of DNA. A Tutorial and Historical Account of James Watson and Francis Crick's Use of X-ray Diffraction in Their Discovery of the Double Helix Structure of DNA." Journal of Chemical Education 84, no. 5 (2007): 803.
- Crouse, D., & Keshavareddy, P. (2007). Polarization independent enhanced optical transmission in one-dimensional gratings and device applications. Optics Express, 15(4), 1415-1427.
- Crouse, D., & Crouse, M. (2006). Design and numerical modeling of normal-oriented quantum wire infrared photodetector array. Infrared physics & technology, 48(3), 227-234.
- Crouse, D. (2006). Phonon modes and electron-phonon interactions in cylindrical quantum wires: Macroscopic and microscopic analyses for device applications. Journal of applied physics, 100(1), 014509-014509.
- Crouse, D., Arend, M., Zou, J., & Keshavareddy, P. (2006). Numerical modeling of electromagnetic resonance enhanced silicon metal-semiconductor-metal photodetectors. Optics express, 14(6), 2047-2061.
- Crouse, D., & Keshavareddy, P. (2006). A method for designing electromagnetic resonance enhanced silicon-on-insulator metal–semiconductor–metal photodetectors. Journal of Optics A: Pure and Applied Optics, 8(2), 175.
- Crouse, D. (2005). Numerical modeling and electromagnetic resonant modes in complex grating structures and optoelectronic device applications. Electron Devices, IEEE Transactions on, 52(11), 2365-2373.
- Crouse, D., & Solomon, R. (2005). Numerical modeling of surface plasmon enhanced silicon on insulator avalanche photodiodes. Solid-state electronics,49(10), 1697-1701.
- Crouse, D., & Keshavareddy, P. (2005). Role of optical and surface plasmon modes in enhanced transmission and applications. Optics Express, 13(20), 7760-7771.
- Crouse, M. M., Miller, A. E., Crouse, D. T., & Ikram, A. A. (2005). Nanoporous alumina template with in situ barrier oxide removal, synthesized from a multilayer thin film precursor. Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 152(10), D167-D172.
- Crouse, D. (2005). Optoelectronics, Displays, and Imaging-Numerical Modeling and Electromagnetic Resonant Modes in Complex Grating Structures and Optoelectronic Device Applications. IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices,52(11), 2365-2373.
- Crouse, M. M., Miller, A. E., Crouse, D. T., & Ikram, A. A. (2005). Electrochemical Synthesis and Engineering-Nanoporous Alumina Template with In Situ Barrier Oxide Removal, Synthesized from a Multilayer Thin Film Precursor. Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 152(10), D167.
- Crouse, D. T., & Lo, Y. H. (2004). Nonsteady-state surface plasmons in periodically patterned structures. Journal of applied physics, 95(8), 4163-4172.
- Sundararajan, S. P., Crouse, D., & Lo, Y. H. (2002). Gallium nitride: Method of defect characterization by wet oxidation in an oxalic acid electrolytic cell. Journal of vacuum science & technology b: microelectronics and nanometer structures,20(4), 1339-1341.
- Crouse, D., Lo, Y. H., Miller, A. E., & Crouse, M. (2000). Self-ordered pore structure of anodized aluminum on silicon and pattern transfer. Applied Physics Letters, 76(1), 49-51.
- Crouse, D., Lo, Y. H., Miller, A. E., & Crouse, M. (1999). Self-assembled nanostructures using anodized alumina thin films for optoelectronic applications. In LEOS'99. IEEE Lasers and Electro-Optics Society 1999 12th Annual Meeting(Vol. 1, pp. 234-235). IEEE.
- Crouse, D., Zhu, Z. H., Lo, Y. H., & Hou, H. (1998, December). Fabrication of photonic devices on Si using pick-and-place multi-wafer technology. In Lasers and Electro-Optics Society Annual Meeting, 1998. LEOS'98. IEEE (Vol. 1, pp. 87-88). IEEE.
- Zhou, Y. C., Zhu, Z. H., Crouse, D., & Lo, Y. H. (1998). Electrical properties of wafer-bonded GaAs/Si heterojunctions. Applied physics letters, 73(16), 2337-2339.
- Zhu, Z. H., Zhou, Y. C., Crouse, D., & Lo, Y. H. (1998). Pick-and-place multi-wafer bonding for optoelectronic integration. Electronics Letters, 34(12), 1256-1257.
- Lo, Y. H., Zhu, Z. H., Zhou, R., Zhang, J., Dagel, D., Srivatsa, L. N., ... & Crouse, D. (1998). Compliant substrate technology for heterogeneous integration. Critical reviews of optical science and technology, 56-79.
- Chang, J. C. P., Ye, J., Melloch, M. R., Crouse, D. T., & Nolte, D. D. (1997). Formation of elemental Ag precipitates in AlGaAs by ion implantation and thermal annealing. Applied physics letters, 71(24), 3501-3503.
- Crouse, D., Nolte, D. D., Chang, J. C. P., & Melloch, M. R. (1997). Optical absorption by Ag precipitates in AlGaAs. Journal of applied physics, 81(12), 7981-7987.