Grove School of EngineeringDepartment
Steinman Hall T- 218
p: (212) 650 6714
f: (212) 650-8013
Born in China, Prof. Yu obtained his bachelor and master degrees from Tsinghua University in Beijing. Studying first in the University of California at Santa Barbara, he later moved to Princeton University and obtained his PHD there. After graduation, he did his post-doctoral research in Harvard University, worked in Tyco Telecommunication as a senior member of technical staff, in Brown University as an research associate, and finally joined the mechanical engineering department in CCNY in 2002.
- Ph.D. Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Princeton University, 1999
- M.E. Engineering Mechanics, Tsinghua University, China, 1994
- B.S. Applied Mathematics, Tsinghua University, China, 1992
- ME 330 Mechanics of Materials
- ME441 Advanced Stress Analysis
- ME G450 Mechanics and Physics of materials Behavior
- ENG. 520 Behavior of inelastic bodies
- Engr. J500 Elasticity theory
- ME G440 Micromechanics
- Mechanical reliability of large and small structures, problems related to Fracture Mechanics including thin film delamination and cracking, optimization of interface roughness, and dynamic fracture.
- Stress driven microstructure evolution and its effects in mechanical behaviors.
- Dislocation based micro-plasticity near contacting surface and in microstructures.
- Microstructural degradation and mechanical failure of SiC/SiC composites in nuclear reactor.
- Liu, Z., Yu, H.H. (2010), A Numerical Study on Stress Relaxation of polycrystalline thin film and its Application in Determining Diffusivity, Thin solid films, Accepted.
- Sun, P., Liu, Z., Yu, H.H. and Mirkin, M. V. (2008), Effect of Mechanical Stress on Kinetics of Heterogeneous Electron Transfer, Langmuir, 24, 9941.
- Gao, Y.F., Yu, H.H. and Kim, K.-S.(2008), Micro-plasticity of surface steps under adhesive contact. Part II. Multiple-dislocation mediated surface hardening, J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 56 (2008) 2759– 2772.
- Yu, H.H., Shrotriya, P., Gao, Y.F. and Kim, K.S.(2007) Micro-plasticity of surface steps under adhesive contact. Part I. Surface yielding controlled by single-dislocation nucleation, J. Mech. Phys. Solids 55, 489-516.
- Liu, Z. and Yu, H.H. (2006), A Numerical Study on the Effect of Mobilities and Initial Profile in Thin Film Morphology Evolution, Thin Solid Films 513, 391-398.
- Yu, H.H. (2005) Crack Nucleation from a single notch caused by stress-dependant surface reaction, International journal of solids and structures 42, 3852-3866.
- Yu, H.H. and J.W. Hutchinson (2002) The influence of Substrate Compliance on Thin Film Buckling Delaminaton, Inter. J. Fracture, 113,39-55.
- Yu, H.H., M.Y. He and J.W. Hutchinson (2001) The Edge Effects in Thin Film Delamination, Acta Materialia 49, 93-107.
- Yu, H.H., Suo, Z. (2000) Intersonic Crack Growth Along an Interface, Proc. Roy. Soc. London A 456, pp. 223-146.
- Yu, H.H., Suo, Z., (1999) An Axysymmetric Model of Pore-Grain Boundary Separation, J. Mech. Phys. Solids 47, 1131-1155.
- Yu, H.H., Suo, Z., (1999) Delayed Fracture of Ceramics Caused by Stress-Dependent Surface Reactions, Acta Materialia 47, 77-88.
- Yu, H.H., Suo, Z., (1998) Model of Wafer Bonding by Elastic Accommodation, J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 46, 829-840