Professional Engineer of New York State
Grove School of EngineeringDepartment
Steinman Hall T-195
ProfileDr. Liu is currently an Assistant Professor of Civil Engineering at City College of New York/City University of New York. He obtained his Ph.D. degree in Geotechnical Engineering from Columbia University in 2002. Prior to joining CCNY in Fall 2007, Dr. Liu worked at Tsinghua University in China, first as a lecturer and later as an associate professor of Civil Engineering. Dr. Liu’s research covers various fields of geotechnical engineering, including static and dynamic soil-structure interactions, hazard response, constitutive modeling, reinforced soil structures, soil liquefaction and underground structures.Dr. Liu is a member of American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE). He also serves on the Poromechanics Committee and Geosynthetics Committee of ASCE. He has been an associate editor of ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering since 11/2010.
- Ph.D. in Geotechnical Engineering, Dec. 2002 , Columbia University, New York
- M.Phil. in Civil Engineering, Feb. 2002, Columbia University, New York
- M.Sc. in Civil Engineering, 1999, Tsinghua University, China
- B. E. in Civil Engineering, 1996, Hohai University, China
- CE 34500 Soil Mechanics
- CE 33200 Mechanics of Deformable Bodies
- CE I3000 Structural Dynamics
- CE I5600 Earthquake Engineering
- CE G2400 Advanced Geomechanics
Research InterestsSoil-structure interaction, earthquake, blast, constitutive modeling of geomaterials, geosynthetic-reinforced soil, soil liquefaction and underground structures.
1. Yang, Guangqing, Liu, Huabei, Lv, Peng, Zhang, Baojian (2012). Geogrid-reinforced lime-treated cohesive soil retaining wall: Case study and implication. Geotextiles and Geomembranes, accepted.
2. Liu, Huabei, Zou, Degao (2012). An associated generalized plasticity framework for modeling gravelly soils considering particle breakage. Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, accepted.
3. Liu, Huabei (2012). Soil-structure interaction and failure of cast-iron subway tunnels subjected to medium internal blast loading. Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, ASCE, in press.
4. Liu, Huabei, Ling, H.I. (2012). Seismic responses of reinforced soil retaining walls and the strain-softening of backfill soils. International Journal of Geomechanics, ASCE, 12(4): 351-356.
5. Xu, Bin, Zou, Degao, Liu, Huabei (2012). Three-dimension simulation of Zipingpu concrete face rockfill dam construction process based on generalized plasticity model. Computers and Geotechnics, 43, 143-154.
6. Liu, Huabei (2012). Long-term lateral displacement of geosynthetic-reinforced soil segmental retaining walls. Geotextiles and Geomembranes, 32, 18-27.
7. Liu, Huabei, Wang, Xiangyu, and Song, Erxiang (2011). Reinforcement load and deformation mode of geosynthetic-reinforced soil walls subject to seismic loading during service life. Geotextiles and Geomembranes, 29(1), 1-16.
8. Ling, H.I., Yang, S., Leshchinsky, D., Liu, H., and Burke, C. (2010). "Finite element simulations of full-scale modular block reinforced soil retaining walls under earthquake loading." Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, 136(5), 653-661.
9. Liu, Huabei (2009). “Dynamic analysis of subway structures under blast loading.” Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, 27(6), 699-711.
10. Liu, Huabei (2009). “Analyzing the reinforcement loads of geosynthetic-reinforced soil walls subject to seismic loading during the service life.” Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, ASCE, 23(5), 292-302.
11. Ling, Hoe I. and Liu, Huabei (2009). "Deformation analysis of reinforced soil retaining walls - simplistic versus sophisticated finite element analyses." Acta Geotechnica, 4, 203-213.
12. Liu, Huabei and Won, Myoung-Soo (2009). “Long-term reinforcement load in geosynthetic-reinforced soil walls.” Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, 135(7), 875-889.
13. Liu, Huabei, Wang, Xiangyu, and Song, Erxiang (2009). “Long-term behavior of GRS retaining walls with marginal backfill soils.” Geotextiles and Geomembranes, 27(4): 295-307.
14. Liu, Huabei and Ling, Hoe I. (2008). “Constitutive description of interface behavior including cyclic loading and particle breakage within the framework of critical state soil mechanics.” International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, 32(12): 1495-1514.
15. Ling, Hoe I., Sun, Lixun, Liu, Huabei, Mori, Yoshiyuki, and Kawabata, Toshinori (2008). “Finite element analysis of pipe buried in saturated soil deposit subject to earthquake loading.” Journal of Earthquake and Tsunami, 2(1): 1-17.
16. Liu, Huabei and Ling, Hoe I. (2007). “A unified elastoplastic-viscoplastic bounding surface model of geosynthetics and its applications to GRS-RW analysis.” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, 133(7): 801-815.
17. Liu, Huabei, and Ling, Hoe I. (2006). “Modeling cyclic behavior of geosynthetics using mathematical functions combined with Masing rule and bounding surface plasticity.” Geosynthetics International, 13(6), 234-245.
18. Liu, Huabei, and Song Erxiang (2006). “Working mechanism of cutoff walls in reducing uplift of large underground structures induced by soil liquefaction.” Computers and Geotechnics, 33(4~5): 209-221.
19. Liu, Huabei, Song, Erxiang, and Ling, Hoe I. (2006). “Constitutive modeling of soil-structure interface through the concept of critical state soil mechanics.” Mechanics Research Communications, 33(4): 515-531.
20. Ling, H.I., Liu, Huabei, and Mohri, Y. (2005). “Parametric studies on the behavior of reinforced soil retaining walls under earthquake loading.” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, 131(10), 1056 ~1065.
21. Liu, Huabei, and Song Erxiang (2005). “Seismic response of large underground structures in liquefiable soils subjected to horizontal and vertical earthquake excitations.” Computers and Geotechnics, 32(4): 223~244.
22. Ling, H.I., Liu, Huabei, Kaliakin, V.N., and Leshchinsky, D. (2004). “Analyzing dynamic behavior of geosynthetic-reinforced soil retaining walls.” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, 130(8): 911~920.
23. Ling, Hoe I., and Liu, Huabei (2003). “Pressure dependancy and densification behavior of sand through a generalized plasticity model.” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, 129(8), 851-860.
24. Ling, H. I., and Liu, Huabei(2003). “Finite element studies of asphalt concrete pavement reinforced with geogrid.” Journal of EngineeringMechanics, ASCE, 129(7): 801-811.
25. Ling, H.I., Mohri, Y., Kawabata, T., Liu, Huabei, Burke, C., and Sun, L. (2003). "Centrifugal modeling of seismic behavior of large-diameter pipeline in liquefiable soil." Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, 129(12), 1092-1101.
26. Ling, H.I., Liu, Huabei, Mohri, Y., Kawabata, T. (2001). "A bounding surface model for geogrid reinforcement." Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, 127(9), 963-967.