Grove School of EngineeringDepartment
Steinman Hall ST-241
p: (212) 650 8584
f: (212) 650 8013
Ph.D. University of California, Berkeley, 1984 M.S. University of California, Berkeley, 1979 B.A.Sc., University of Toronto, 1978
Fluid Mechanics Reactor Physics and Engineering Reactor Thermal-Hydraulics
Multiphase flow and phase change heat transfer, nuclear reactor thermal-hydraulics and safety analysis, microfluidics, micro-heat pipes, microgravity fluid physics and transport phenomena, thermal energy storage.
Keynote Papers and Presentations
- Kawaji, M., Fournaison, L. and Guilpart, J., 2007. Understanding of Ice Slurry and Low Temperature Phase Change Slurries for Thermal Storage and Transport Applications, Paper ICR07-E1-1068 in Proc. of the International Congress of Refrigeration, August 21-26, 2007, Beijing, China.
- Kawaji, M., 2008. Unique Aspects of Adiabatic Two-Phase Flow in Microchannels, a Keynote paper presented at the Third ECI International Conference on Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow in Microscale, September 21-26 2008, Whistler, B.C., Canada.
- Kawaji, M., 2010. Macroscopic and Microscale Phenomena encountered in Multiphase Energy Storage and Transport Systems, to be presented at the International Heat Transfer Conference, August 8-10, 2010, Washington D.C., USA.
- Kauffeld, M., Kawaji, M. and Egolf P.W., 2005. Handbook on Ice Slurries: Fundamentals and Engineering, International Institute of Refrigeration, Paris, France.
- Kabov O., Kawaji, M., Ohta H., and Zhao J.F. (Ed.), 2008. Journal of Microgravity Science and Technology, Vol. 20, No. 3-4, 2008.
- Kabov O., Kawaji, M. Ohta, H. and Zhao, J.F. (Ed.), 2009. Journal of Microgravity Science and Technology, Vol. 21, Supplement 1, September, 2009.
- Kawahara, A., Chung. P.M.Y., and Kawaji, M., 2002. Investigation of two-phase flow pattern, void fraction and pressure drop in a microchannel. International J. Multiphase Flow, Vol. 28/9, pp. 1411-1435.
- Hassan, S., Lyubimova, T.P., Lyubimov, D.V. and Kawaji, M., 2006. The effects of vibrations on particle motion in a semi-infinite fluid cell. ASME J. Applied Mechanics, Vol. 73(4), pp. 610-621.
- Hassan, S., Kawaji M., Lyubimova T.P., and Lyubimov D.V., 2006. Effects of vibrations on particle motion near a wall: Existence of attraction force. International J. Multiphase Flow, Vol. 32, pp. 1027-1054.
- Simic-Stefani, S., Kawaji, M. and Hu, H., 2006. G-jitter induced motion of a protein crystal under microgravity. Journal of Crystal Growth, Vol. 294, pp. 373-384.
- Simic-Stefani, S., Kawaji, M. and Yoda, S., 2006. Onset of oscillatory thermocapillary flow in acetone liquid bridges: the effect of evaporation. International J. Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 49, pp. 3167-3179.
- Pan, S., Yan, Y., Jaber, T.J., Kawaji, M. and Saghir, Z.M., 2007. Evaluation of thermal diffusion models for ternary hydrocarbon mixtures. J. of Non-Equilibrium Thermodynamics, Vol. 32(3), pp. 241-249.
- Ide, H., Kimura, R., and Kawaji, M., 2007. Optical measurement of void fraction and bubble size distributions in a microchannel. Heat Transfer Engineering, Vol. 28, No. 8, pp. 713-719.
- Pan, S., Saghir, Z.M., Jiang, C.G., Yan, Y. and Kawaji, M., 2007. A theoretical approach to evaluate thermodiffusion in alkanol aqueous solutions. J. of Chemical Physics, Vol. 126, 014502.
- Hassan, S. and Kawaji, M., 2008. The effects of vibrations on particle motion in a fluid cell: Effect of liquid viscosity. ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 75, Issue 3, 031012 (published on line).
- Ide, H., Kimura, R., and Kawaji, M., 2009. Effect of Inlet Geometry on Adiabatic Gas-Liquid Two-Phase Flow in a Microchannel, Heat Transfer Engineering, Vol. 30, No.1 & 2, pp. 37-42.
- Kawaji, M., Mori, K., and Bolintineanu, D., 2009. The effects of inlet geometry and gas-liquid mixing on two-phase flow in microchannels, ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 131, Issue 4, Article Number: 041302 (7 pages).
- Abbasi, A., Saghir, M.Z., and Kawaji, M., 2009. A New Approach for the Prediction of the Thermal Diffusion Factor in Associating Mixtures: Comparison with Existing Experimental Data. J. of Non-Equilibrium Thermodynamics, Vol. 130, No. 6 Article Number: 064506 (6 pages).
- Abbasi, A., Saghir, Z. and Kawaji, M., 2009. A New Proposed Approach to Estimate the Thermodiffusion Coefficients for Linear Chain Hydrocarbon Binary Mixtures. J. Chemical Physics, Vol. 131, Issue 1, Article Number: 014502.
- Liang, R.Q. and Kawaji, M., 2009. Surface Oscillation of a Liquid Bridge Induced by Single and Multiple Vibrations. Microgravity Science and Technology, Vol. 21, Supplement 1, pp. 31-37.
- Santos, R. and Kawaji, M., 2010. Numerical Modeling and Experimental Investigation of Gas-Liquid Slug Formation in a Microchannel T-Junction. Int. J. Multiphase Flow, Vol. 36, pp. 314–323.
- Saadatmand, M. and Kawaji, M., 2010. Effect of Viscosity on Vibration-Induced Particle Motion under Microgravity. Microgravity Science and Technology, in press.
- Adiabatic gas-liquid two-phase flow in microchannels
- Buoyancy-induced intermittent flow phenomena in nuclear reactors
- Pulsating heat pipes with self-rewetting fluids
- Phase change nano-emulsions for thermal energy storage
- Vibration effects on fluid-particle systems under microgravity
- Marangoni convection in liquid bridges under microgravity
- Phase equilibrium behavior of bitumen-gas mixtures
- Thermal diffusion in binary and tertiary mixtures
- Heat transfer enhancement in rotary kilns