Rishi S. Raj
Grove School of EngineeringDepartment
Steinman Hall ST - 221
p: (212) 650-5212
f: (212) 650-8013
Faculty Senate Chair at CCNY. Expert in the areas of turbomachines, explosion and implosion,turbulence and underwater launchers.
Interests include the fifth dimension, speed of mind, and intelligence.
- B. Sc. (Hons), Math-Physics, 1964, Punjabe University;
- M.S.(Hons), Mechanical Engineering, 1969, PFU, MOSOW, U.S.S.R.
- Ph.D. Aerospace, 1974, Penn. State.
- Distinguished Fellow: U.S. Navy - ASEE
- Power generation
- Turbulent flows
- Appklied fluid mechanis
- Steam and Gas Turbines
Professor Raj has published more than sixty papers in the areas of turbomachinery. He developed for the first time the turbulence dissipation equation applied to rotating flows and showed that it is not independent of rotation. His wake models related to cascade, rotors and free stream turbulence are first in the field of turbomachinery. He was appointed twice fellow of NASA and thrice the distinguished fellow of U.S. Navy.
At NASA his work involved new fuels in space for long range flights. While he was in the Navy his work involved advanced launching systems, sonar, and transient flow pumps. He has collaborated extensively with industry in the areas of erosion, corrosion and deposition from highly contaminated, high temperature gas flows and development of high temperature new turbine. He has also examined most fundamental problems; transition from conservative to non- conservative field, highly accelerating rotating flows, ram- pump- mid stroke rumble, and concepts beyond relativity. He has served as a consultant to the United Nations in the field of turbomachinery.
- Raj, R., and Lakshrninarayana, B, "Characteristics of Turbulent Wakes Behind Cascade of Aerofoils," J. Fl. Mech., Vol. 41, 1973
- Raj, R, "Form of the Turbulence Dissipation Equation as Applied to Curved and Rotating Turbulent Flows," J. Phys. Fluids, Vol. 18, 1975
- Raj, R, and Lumley J.L., "A Theoretical Investigation on the Structure of Fan Wakes," ASME J. Fluid Engr. 1978
- Raj, R, "Deposition Results of a Transpiration Air Cooled Turbine Vane Cascade in a Contaminated Gas Stream," ASME J. Engr. Power, vol. 105, 1983
- Raj, R, "Beyond Relativity - A Mathematical Formulation of the Universe with the Fifth Dimension, Proceeding of U.N.O Conference on VEDAS," July 14-16, 1993
- Rarma, T. D, Raj, R. and Raj, V., Science and Logic of the Absolutely Pure, Book, 357 Pages, G. I. Corp, N.J., April, 1999