B.S./M.D. Program Admissions Policies, Requirements and Application
The Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education is designed to attract students who have attained outstanding academic performance in high school with a strong record in the sciences, mathematics and community service. Academically qualified students who demonstrate maturity, integrity, compassion and motivation needed to become dedicated and highly skilled professionals are those most likely to succeed in the program.
One of the most important factors considered in the admissions process is the applicant's potential and interest in pursuing a career as a primary care doctor in a physician shortage area. The overall assessment of the applicants by the Admissions Committee includes:
- Academic ability as demonstrated by high school grades in all subjects, especially regents examination scores in 11th-year Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics
- ACT and SAT scores (to be submitted with the application)
- Personal attributes such as initiative and responsibility
- Interest in working with people as evidenced by health care-related experiences and participation in community and extracurricular activities
Following a careful initial screening, the most highly qualified applicants are invited for personal interviews. The Admissions Committee makes the final selection of the students admitted for the Fall semester each year from among those interviewed.
To be considered for Fall admission to The Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education, an applicant must:
- Be a legal resident of New York State and a citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- Be a high school graduate as of June 30th
- Have a minimum grade average of 85 percent through the first three years of high school
- Submit ACT and SAT scores
If you have completed college courses for which you wish to be considered for credit, you must submit a copy of the official college transcript with your application.
Application RequirementsEach applicant must submit two separate applications:
- An online application to The Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education (B.S./M.D. application)
The deadline for the application to The Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education is January 8th. *The Application Deadline has been Extended to Wednesday, January 15, 2014!*
On the general CUNY application, students must list the School of Biomedical Education at City College (Code Number 0179) as a choice. The general application to The City University of New York should be submitted by February 1st.
All applications, inquiries and requests for information about the Sophie Davis admission process should be addressed to:
Office of Admissions
The Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education
The City College of New York, Harris Hall 101
160 Convent Avenue
New York, NY 10031
Tel: (212) 650-7718
Fax: (212) 650-7708
B.S./M.D. Program Admissions:
All prospective applicants are required to complete a Sophie Davis VIP Interest Page (SD VIP) and become a VIP member. To become a SD VIP click here to register. You will then be able to access customized information regarding your interest in the Program and have access to the Application.
B.S./M.D. Program Application Process:
- Complete a SD VIP Interest Page for access to the most current information about the Sophie Davis Admissions Process
- Complete the Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education Application by January 8th. *The Application Deadline has been Extended to Wednesday, January 15, 2014!*
- Complete a CUNY Application no later than February 1st. On the CUNY Freshman Application the Sophie Davis School of "Biomedical Education" code is (Day) 0179—list The City College as one of your choices. The fee for the CUNY Application is currently $65.00. The Macaulay Honors Application fulfills the requirement for a CUNY application
- Submit all Supporting Documents for the Sophie Davis Application and the CUNY Application respectively
Alternatively, for additional information or to request an application, contact:
Christopher Wanyonyi, Director of Admissions email@example.com.