Study Abroad Programs at City College
Study Abroad Programs at City College
Welcome to The CCNY Office of Study Abroad & International Programs
The City College of New York has a variety of opportunities that run from semester-long programs in Europe, to short-term programs during the winter and summer sessions in various locations throughout the world. CCNY also offers International Service-Learning programs through which students intern in countries with communities in need that can offer an enriching environment of collaboration. Some of these programs offer homestays with host families, and field trips to places of historical and cultural interest. All of them give you the opportunity to earn academic credit for offered courses, or for research and experiential learning.
CUNY-Wide Policies On Traveling Abroad
The CCNY Office of Study Abroad & International Programs' main goal is to offer CCNY students the opportunity to grow both academically and personally through a formative experience abroad within a supportive, professional and safe environment. Study Abroad, exchanges, class trips, internships, and site visits are all wonderful ways of internationalizing curricula at the College. Such activities are encouraged while always maintaining best practices that are now standard in international education.
The staff at the Office of Study Abroad & International Programs not only helps advise students, but also faculty members who become engaged in international education programing through the College. The Office should be considered as the main resource on campus for designing, managing, and assessing international programs of any nature – be it for academic credit or not. Any manner of international travel with students of the College requires the proper documentation and approval.
The program or trip director/leader must provide a comprehensive itinerary to the Office. All participants must sign the CUNY Waiver & Release Agreement, which details appropriate behavior and individual accountability according to a host country's laws while on the trip. This document is irreplaceable as it clarifies any question of liability issues between all participants and CUNY. All participants must be enrolled for international health insurance through the duration of travel. CUNY has an account with CISI and enrollment is managed by the CCNY Office of Study Abroad and International Programs. All participants complete the Emergency Contacts Form, which allows the College to notify those listed in case it were necessary. FERPA regulations would prevent us from doing so without the Form and the participant's approval.
Study Abroad Announcements
ATTENTION: Starting Fall 2013, all CCNY students who want to participate in any CUNY or non-CUNY study-abroad program MUST file the CCNY Study Abroad Permit before departure. The Permit can no longer be filed retroactively. Students who fail to file the Permit before departure will not be eligible to transfer credits earned during the study-abroad program upon return.
- Ready to spend your summer vacation in another country while earning academic credits? The application deadline for Summer 2016 Study Abroad Programs is Friday, April 29th, 2016.
- Get to know your study abroad advisors: Ms. Ninive Gomez, Assistant Director, and Ms. Liza Khan, Program Advisors are here to help you with any questions you may have regarding exciting opportunities overseas. Never hesitate to contact them.
- There are extended office hours until 6:00pm on both Wednesdays and Thursdays during the Spring 2016 semester for your convenience.
- Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship Workshop- January 21, February 18, 25 | 1:00-2:00pm | NAC 5/216
- CCNY Study Abroad Photography Competition- Deadline: February 19
Upcoming Study Abroad Scholarship Opportunities
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship- Summer & Fall 2016 Deadline: March 1
- Boren Awards- Fellowship Deadline: January 28 | Scholarship Deadline: February 9
- Critical Language Scholarship
- Freeman-ASIA Scholarship- Summer 2016: March 1 | Fall 2016: April 1
- The Whitaker International Undergraduate Scholarships for Biomedical Engineering majors who study abroad.
- Visit the CUNY Study Abroad page for more scholarship opportunities.
- For more information on funding opportunities, please visit www.StudyAbroadFunding.org.
- Scholarship database is available through PIVOT Funding Search. Click here for instructions on how to create an account.
Dean Juan Carlos Mercado, Director
P: 212.925.6625 x246 or 212.650.8683
Ninive Gomez, Assistant Director
Liza Khan, Program Advisor
North Academic Center
160 Convent Avenue
New York, NY 10031 USA