APPLICATION FOR NSF-REU FELLOWSHIP
The Biology Department at The City College of New York has a three-year grant from the National Science Foundation (NSF) to support a Research Experience for Undergraduate (REU) site at the City College of New York (CCNY). This grant is to support undergraduate research for 10 weeks for three CUNY, City College of New York undergraduates and three CUNY, Community College students who will be transferring to CCNY. Preference will be given to students who have only finished two years of academic work (i.e., the equivalent of the sophomore year) and who are interested in pursuing graduate research in Biology. Students may apply more than once, but a student will only be awarded the fellowship once. Students are responsible for contacting research mentors about the possibility of research in the mentor's laboratory. All Biology faculty members are participating; some research may involve travel abroad. The fellowship stipend will be $5,000 for the 10 weeks; additional funds for travel abroad to a research site are available. Selected fellows will also be given monthly MTA passes for their travel to City College. For students who will experience extremely long commuting times, there is financial support for two students to live in the Towers dormitory. Please note on your application if you are interested in this space and please indicate your estimated commuting time. Request for dormitory space does not have any impact on your application.
During the 10 weeks, students will also participate in weekly workshops and seminars aimed to introduce students to different areas of biological research, ethics in research issues, scientific writing and communication, careers in the biological sciences, and other related topics.
All applications can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org or hand-delivered to the Department of Biology office in Marshak 526 by 5 pm on March 15, 2016. Successful applicants will be notified no later than April 30th, 2015. Applications that are late, incomplete, or that do not conform to guidelines will not be considered. NOTE: It is the applicant's responsibility to obtain the letters of recommendation and ensure that the recommenders submit the letters online by the deadline. All parts of the application should be single spaced with at least 1-inch margins and a 12-point font. Length restrictions should be observed.
1) Cover sheet summarizing your information on the page provided.
2) Copy of your transcript.
3) Abstract of your research, prepared in conjunction with your research mentor (no more than 500 words).
4) A paragraph describing your career goals and reasons for applying for an NSF-REU fellowship.
5) Two letters of recommendation from science faculty members. Please have your recommenders fill out the recommendation cover sheet and submit their letters on letterhead online by the due date.
6) A letter from your research mentor supporting your application. For City College students, your research mentor may also write one of your letters of recommendation if you have already been working in his/her laboratory.