City College Campus 11

Federal Work-Study (FWS)

The Federal Work-Study program provides the opportunity for a student to earn money by working in a City College office or at an off-campus location.

Work-Study is awarded to students with "financial need". Financial need is determined by the information reported on a student's FAFSA. The CUNY Office of Student Financial Aid is responsible for assessing need and setting the parameters of how federal funds allotted for this program are allocated.

2023-2024 Academic Year:
  • Information regarding Fall 2023 FWS is emailed to FWS supervisors and students who received FWS offers for the 2023-2024 academic year via their official CCNY email addresses.
  • Full time CCNY-CUNY staff who are interested in becoming FWS supervisors can send an email to .
  • Apply for FWS positions online at: CCNY Student Employment
  • Questions regarding FWS can be sent to . Be sure to include your full name and EMPLID.


Students are required to pay the (FICA) FICA tax of 7.65% on FWS earnings under any of the following conditions:

  • during the summer if the student is enrolled for less than 6 credits
  • during the intersession (winter) period
  • if the student works at an off-campus job site.

Tax Forms

The required FWS tax forms and instructions are available to download and print via the CCNY Student Employment website:

Pay Rates: 2023-2024 Academic year


  • Undergraduates:    $17.00 per hour
  • Graduates:             $18.00 per hour


  • Rate will vary depending on New York State minimum wage and above.


Payroll Schedule

The FWS Payroll schedule is available for viewing at any time on the Student Employment website. Each payroll period is two weeks. FWS time sheets must be submitted by the deadlines listed on the payroll schedule to avoid a delay in payment.


If a student is unable to earn the full amount of their award during the Summer, the student may work during the Fall 2023, Intersession 2023, or Spring 2024 semesters if the following conditions are met:

  • Have remaining FWS funds
  • The student is registered for at least six (6) credits

The guidelines for the program are:

  • A student must be "placed" (hired), in a Federal Work-Study position before the student can work and be paid.
  • Freshmen (1st-time college students) and transfer students, entering in the Fall cannot use their FWS award during the preceding Summer.
  • A student must be matriculated, in good academic standing, and not be in default of any student loans.
  • A student must be registered for at least 6 credits during the semester(s) they are working. This requirement only applies to the Fall and Spring semesters. Summer school enrollment is optional for students working during the summer. However, in order to work during the summer, students must be registered for 6 credits for Fall.
  • Students who wish to apply for federal work study positions should apply for a position online at the CCNY Student Employment website, interview with their prospective supervisor, and then come to the Financial Aid Office to complete the Eligibility Screening Process. Any students interested in working off campus can view our office campus jobs in the Financial Aid Office.
  • Students should dress for the job interview on the day scheduled by the prospective supervisor.
  • Students should choose a FWS job site carefully. A student is expected to remain at the chosen job site for the entire period the contract is in effect.
  • Both supervisors and students are responsible for monitoring the total hours earned. Departments are responsible for paying students for hours worked beyond their award limits, before the first date of the approved contract and after the last day to work.
  • Students must be supervised by their FWS supervisor at all times.

After the eligibility screening has taken place, do not make any corrections to your Student Aid Report (SAR)/FAFSA application. If you make corrections, it may affect your Federal Work-Study (FWS) award. If you feel corrections are required, please contact the Financial Aid Office.

If you are receiving scholarships during the academic year, inform the Financial Aid Office of the amount of the scholarship(s) and the semester term(s) awarded. Scholarships may have an effect on your FWS award.

Last Updated: 09/18/2023 09:39