• Search committee training on holistic review (Both senior and junior faculty)
• Recruit more diverse senior and junior faculty from historically underrepresented groups (e.g. African-American, Latino/Hispanic; Native-American/American Indian)
• Engage alumni to serve as faculty (volunteer; adjunct; part-time; full-time)
• Identify pools of prospective faculty and senior leaders through National Hispanic Medical Association (NHMA), National Medical Association (NMA), AAMC Minority Faculty Leadership Development Seminar (MinFAC), Association of American Indian Physicians, National Institutes of Health
• An additional resource is the Building the Next Generation of Academic Physicians (BNGAP Inc.) which has professional development conferences and educational modules to raise diverse trainees (URM, women, and LGBTQ) awareness of, interest in and preparedness for academic medicine careers.
The following are a list of published modules for staff/faculty to implement to inspire URM trainees to become future faculty.
1. Williams R, Holaday L, Lamba S, Soto-Greene M, Sánchez JP. Introducing trainees to medical education activities and opportunities for educational scholarship. MedEdPORTAL. 2017;13:10554.https://www.mededportal.org/publication/10554/
2. Fernández CR, Lucas R, Soto-Greene M, Sánchez JP. Introducing trainees to academic medicine career roles and responsibilities. MedEdPORTAL. 2017;13:10653.
3. Callahan EJ, Banks M, Medina J, Disbrow K, Soto-Greene M, Sánchez JP. Providing diverse trainees an early and transparent introduction to academic appointment and promotion processes. MedEdPORTAL. 2017;13:10661.
4. Guilliames C, Sule H, Perez H, Hubbi B, Sánchez JP. Providing trainees with both an introduction to and decision-making framework for pursuing an academic residency position. MedEdPORTAL. 2018;14:10667.
5. Dickerman J, Sánchez JP, Portela-Martinez M, Roldan E. Leadership and academic medicine: preparing medical students and residents to be effective leaders
21st century. MedEdPORTAL. 2018;14:10677.
6. Nakae S, Soto-Greene M, Williams R, Guzman D, Sánchez JP. Helping trainees develop scholarship in academic medicine from community service. MedEdPORTAL. 2017;13:10659.
7. Paredes Molina CS, Spencer DJ, Morcuende M, et al. An introduction to research work, scholarship, and paving a way to a career in academic medicine. MedEdPORTAL. 2018;14:10686.
The next conference for diverse trainees, residents, and junior faculty will occur at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Fall 2018.