Office of Clinical Practice - FAQs - Certification

Will City College automatically apply for New York State Certification on my behalf?

If you have applied for graduation for a particular semester, your name will be included on a list of candidates eligible for certification. After your graduation has been approved, the certification officer will enter a recommendation for the appropriate certificate(s). The student may at any time file the application for certification, via the State's online application system.  For information and instructions, visit the CCNY Certification page.

Can I apply for certification on my own?

Candidates can apply for New York State Certification via Individual Transcript Evaluation. The burden of providing the appropriate information demonstrating the completion of the requirements would fall on the candidates themselves. The fee is also higher for individuals who apply on their own.

What tests do I need to pass to get certified?

Candidates need to have successfully taken and passed the CST (Content Specialty Test), the EAS (Educating All Students) and the edTPA, for Initial Certification. Visit the New York State Teacher Certification Exams website for more information.

What is the difference between New York State Certification and New York City Licensing?

In order to obtain a New York City License, you will have to already be a New York State certified teacher. New York City is the only school district in the state of New York that requires a separate license in addition to State Certification. You will receive your NYC Department of Education license after you are hired as a teacher. Visit the New York City Department of Education website for more information.

When do I need to be fingerprinted?

Fingerprinting should occur prior to the beginning of the term in which you are student teaching. Clearance can take up to three weeks or longer. Fingerprinting clearance is needed both for New York State Certification and the New York City License. Once you have been cleared at one level you can complete a waiver to have the City and State exchange information. Visit the New York State Education Department or New York City Department of Education websites for more explicit and current information.

What do I need to do to remain certified?

Once you are initially certified you have five years to complete the requirements for professional certification. Visit the New York State Education Department for details about your area of certification. 


What is an Internship Certificate Credential?

The Internship Certificate Credential is a temporary New York State teaching certificate.  It allows you to work in the specific school in which you have been offered a position.  You can't use it in another school.  While teaching under this credential, you are supervised by a CCNY faculty member.  The credential is good for two years, and cannot be renewed.  Within that time you must have graduated and completed all NYS certification requirements.

How to I apply for an Internship Certificate?

The CCNY School of Education requirements are:

  • You must be a CCNY matriculated graduate student
  • You must have completed 50% of your graduate education program
  • You are in good standing with a GPA of 3.0 or higher
  • You must have proof of passing scores for the CST test (NOTE: Special Education students also need the Students with Disabilities CST, Bilingual Education students also need the BEA CST).
  • You must have proof that you completed the Child Abuse, Violence Prevention and DASA workshops.
  • You must have a letter from a school stating that you have current or pending employment.

Bring evidence of all the above to your program advisor in order to begin the Internship Certificate application process.