- Set up of the CCNY email account:
It is important for you to know how to access your CCNY email because the communication with your professor as well as Bursars and other CCNY offices will occur via that email address.
Access your email account
- Learn why and how to access Blackboard
- Find available resources in the Library
- Know about the CUNY Technology Services:
Blackboard, CUNYfirst, DegreeWorks, CUNYAlert, Library, Office 365 for Education, Office ProPlus, Dropbox, CUNY Academic Commons, Cloud Virtual Desktop, Gartner, CUNYfirst MyInfo, eMall, McAfee, Maplesoft.
- Update your computer:
These are the most important areas you need to keep up to date or check on your computer regularly to keep your system free from viruses and Internet threats:
- Anti-Virus software (virus definitions)
- Check for Windows Updates (Microsoft publishes updates every Tuesday)
- Check for Apple iOS Updates
- Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod
- Check and update Plug-Ins (most common Plug-Ins: Adobe Reader, Flash, Shockwave, Quicktime, Java)
- Browsers, e.g. Mozilla Firefox (Help -> About ... Checks automatically for Updates) or Internet Explorer
- Update Java (Java SE Downloads)
- Adobe Reader: Help -> Check for Updates ...
- Check Adobe Flash for latest version
- Fraudulent Websites (Domain Name System (DNS) Redirects)
- Free virus scan applications:
- Backup your data (flash, hard drive, etc.) at least weekly:
The best way to backup your system depends on your use, needs, and system. These articles will help you to choose the best solution:
- Internet Safety
- Do not download anything or click on any link unless you know the source!
CUNY Information Security
CCNY Information Security Office
Be Safe on the Internet by WikiHow
Multimedia Center Resources
Do not open attachments from senders you do not know. Do not click on links in emails from a sender you do not recognize.
- Know how to use a flash drive (e.g. ejecting)
- Be aware of the Copyright Laws because they also apply to online content:
- Technology and Teaching Resources:
- Instructional Technology
- Use of Technology in Teaching and Learning by the U.S. Department of Education
- An Introduction to Technology Integration by edutopia