International Perspectives - a cooperation with the European Joint MA in English & American Studies

The City College MA in English and MA in Language and Literacy programs have partnered with four European institutions in the Joint Master’s program in English and American Studies:

·       University of Graz (Austria)
·       University of Bamberg (Germany)
·       Ca’ Foscari University Venice (Italy)
·       University Paris Diderot (France)

This partnership provides students pursuing a Master of Arts degree in the English Department at City College with the opportunity to spend a semester abroad at one of the partner universities as part of their coursework. The program is open to both prospective and continuing MA students, but the number of places per semester is limited. If you are interested in applying or have additional questions about the program, please contact by e-mail the City College liaison, Professor Andras Kisery.

For more information about the Joint Master’s Program and the partner institutions, visit Please note that CCNY is NOT a degree awarding partner: CCNY students benefit from the semester-long mobility opportunity while fulfilling the requirements for their CCNY degree only.



Participation in the program is open to students registered for one of the following MA programs offered by the English Department at City College:

·       MA in Language and Literacy
·       MA in Literature



On completion of the program, you will receive the City College MA degree.



The program normally takes two years (four semesters) to complete. Students must spend one semester studying at one of the European partner universities and gain 30 ECTS (European Credits). This semester is referred to as a mobility semester. For details, see the bulletin sub-entry International Perspectives in Language and Literature,

for the MA in English:

for the MA in Language and Literacy:



After a substantial number of course credits taken in their MA program, City College students spend a “mobility semester” at a partner university where they take classes required to fulfill the requirements for the International Perspectives in Language and Literature track within their CCNY MA program. In practice, this means that students take classes in linguistics, in cultural studies, and in literature, as well as in a foreign language. On returning home, students take any remaining classes at City College which are required for their City College degree, and write their MA thesis.



All of the partner universities are located in attractive cities. It is important that you think carefully about your preferred mobility university. Here are some points which are worth considering:

·       Language: you will be able to take foreign language classes at your mobility university, so you should consider which language you wish to learn.
·       The academic program offered at each university. For guidance, consult the current course offerings of each partner university.
·       What benefits each university offers (including financial benefits).

IMPORTANT: Students don’t pay tuition fees at their mobility university, but may have to pay small administrative charges. City College students must remain registered at City College while they are on mobility, and pay full-time tuition, registering for study abroad credits.

The European partner universities may offer certain benefits, including financial, to City College students. For information on this, please contact the program coordinator of the university or universities which you are interested in.

Should you wish to contact the program coordinators of the partner universities, visit



You apply to the MA in English or MA in Language and Literacy program, indicating your interest in the International Perspectives in Language and Literature track. You should also email Prof. Andras Kisery. 

Last Updated: 01/28/2020 15:22