Summer Financial Aid (Federal Pell, Federal Direct Loans, etc.) is available to qualified matriculated City College students. You must register and attend at least 6 credits for a Federal Direct loan and at least 1 credit to receive Federal Pell for those who qualify.
To apply, make sure to complete your 2018-2019 and the 2019-2020 FAFSA as soon as possible, and plan to register for the Summer 2019 session at City College.
Note: Awards will be finalized after Spring 2019 grades are posted and satisfactory academic progress (SAP) is determined for the 2019-2020 academic year.
Federal Pell Grant
Year-round Pell allows students to receive up to 150 percent of a regular grant award over the course of the academic year so that they can continue taking classes in the summer and finish their degrees faster than they would otherwise. Summer Pell
- Must be enrolled for Summer courses by July 2, 2019. Please note you will not be aid-eligible for any class enrolled on July 7, 2019 or later.
- Must be Pell grant eligible including the completion of any and all checklists.
- Must not have exceeded the Pell lifetime eligibility usage of 600%. (Pell awarded in summer will count towards the 600% maximum). You may view your complete Pell Grant history at www.nslds.ed.gov.
- Must enroll in a minimum of 6 credits (half-time) in the semester you will be using more than 100% Pell.
William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan)
To receive a Direct loan in the Summer, a student must be:
- Must file a FAFSA each academic year
- Registered and attending at the time of disbursement at least 6 credits
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP)
- Have a complete Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling on www.studentloans.gov
- Complete the online CUNYfirst loan application online on self-service for the appropriate terms you plan to attend and borrow a loan, click to view instructions.
Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)
Summer TAP if awarded, is refunded in October of the following year.
Students qualify for summer TAP only upon earning 24 credits contributory towards their degree program of study at City College. Please indicate summer semester on your TAP application.
- The 24 credits must be earned in the prior two semesters preceding the start of the semester.
- The student must be full-time in the term preceding the semester.
- The student must be in good academic standing prior to certification of the semester.
- Transfer credits cannot be included in the 24 credit requirement.