Additional Departments/Affiliated Programs
Areas of Expertise/Research
Dr. Bruce Kim received his Ph.D. from Georgia Tech. He has been working as a faculty since 1996. His current research interests include fabrication of nanosensors for chemical and biomedical applications, 3D TSV design-for-testability and packaging, and radio frequency and high-voltage IC testing and characterizations. Dr. Kim is a 1997 recipient of the prestigious National Science Foundation CAREER Award. He received three Meritorious Service Awards from the IEEE Computer Society. He has served as associate editors of the IEEE Design and Test of Computers, the IMAPS Microelectronics Journal, the IEEE Transactions of Components and Packaging Technology, and Journal of Electronic Testing Theory and Applications (JETTA). He has been serving as a BoG member of the IEEE CPMT Society for over ten years. Dr. Kim is a fellow of IMAPS and Faculty Senator of CCNY.
- Ph.D., Electrical and Computer Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology
- M.S., Electrical Engineering, University of Arizona
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, University of California, Irvine
- EE334 Digital Computer Systems
- EE457 Digital Integrated Circuits
Nanosensor fabrication; nanoelectronics; biosensors; microsystems packaging and characterizations; design-for-testability; 3D TSV packaging; RF and mixed-signal IC testing; bio-inspired unmanned systems.
- Saikat Mondal, Sang-Bock Cho, Bruce Kim, “Modeling and Crosstalk Evaluation of 3D TSV Based Inductor with Ground TSV Shielding,” IEEE Transactions on VLSI, pp 1-11, DOI: 10.1109/TVLSI.2016.2568755, May 2016.
- Bruce Kim, Saikat Mondal, Sang-Bock Cho, “Design of TSV-based Inductors for Internet of Things,” IMAPS Device Packaging, Scottsdale, Arizona, March 2016.
- Saikat Mondal, Jonathan Gamboa, Bruce Kim, “Development of TSV-based Inductors in Power Electronics Packaging,” IEEE International Conference on Electronic Packaging Technology, pp. 622-626, Changsha China, August 2015.
- Bruce Kim, Saikat Mondal, Sang-Bock Cho, “Tunable High-Q TSV Inductor Packaging with MEMS,” Proceedings of IMAPS 46th International Symposium on Microelectronics, Orlando Florida, October 2015.
- A. Gupta, B. Kim, R. Kasim, “Synergistic Utilization of MEMS Array Topology and Nanosensor Package for Trace Multiple Analyte Detection” Journal of Advanced Materials Research, volume 774-776, pp. 1503-1507, DOI: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.774-776.1503, January 2014.
- B. Kim, S. Mondal, S. Noh, “Tunable 3D TSV-Based Inductor for Integrated Sensors,” IEEE Electronic Packaging and Technology Conference (EPTC), pp.322-325, Singapore, December 3-6, 2014.
- B. Kim, S. Mondal, F. Taenzler, K. Moushegina, “A Novel BIST Technique for LDMOS Drivers,” Invited Paper in BIST Special Session, IEEE 57th Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems (MWSCAS), pp.1069-1072, College Station, TX, August 3-6, 2014.
- B. Kim, A. Gupta, “A Zinc Oxide Nanowire-Based Sensing Platform for Carbon Dioxide Detection,” 10th International Conference on Device Packaging, Scottsdale Arizona, March 11-13, 2014.
- A. Gupta, B. Kim, R. Kasim, “Novel MEMS switch topology and nanosensor package for multi-analyte chemical detection” Advanced Materials Research, vol. 774, pp. 1503-1507, 2013.
- A. Gupta. B. Kim, R. Kasim, “Novel MEMS Switch Topology and Nanosensor Package for Multi-Analyte Chemical Detection”, International Forum on Mechanical and Material Engineering, Guangzhou, China, June 13-14, 2013.
- A. Gupta, M. Spryn, S. Kannan, B. Kim, E. Edwards, C. Brantley, P. Ruffin, “Packaging and Sensing Platform using Opto-electronic Zinc Oxide Nano-Heterostructure Integration”, IEEE Electronic Components and Technology Conference, Las Vegas, USA, May 28-31, 2013.
- A. Gupta, B. Kim, E. Edwards, C. Brantley, P. Ruffin, “Synthesis and Functionalization Study of Hierarchical ZnO Nanowires for Potential Nitroaromatic Sensing Applications” Applied Physics A, vol.107, pp. 709-714, 2012.
- A. Gupta, B. Kim, E. Edwards, C. Brantley, P. Ruffin, “Functionalization of ZnO nanowires for potential p-nitrophenol sensing applications,” Advanced Materials Research, Vol. 567, pp. 228-231, 2012.
- A. Gupta, B. Kim, E. Edwards, C. Brantley, P. Ruffin, “ Design of Nanosensing platform based on Zinc Oxide nanowire arrays,” Journal of Smart Nanosystems in Engineering and Medicine, September 2012.
- A. Gupta; B. Kim; E. Edwards; C. Brantley; P. Ruffin, “Covalent Functionalization of Zinc Oxide Nanowires for High Sensitivity p-Nitrophenol Detection in Biological Systems,” Elsevier: Materials Science and Engineering - B, September 2012.
- S. Kannan, B. Kim, A. Gupta, S.K. Noh, L. Li, “Characterization of High Performance CNT-based TSV for High Frequency RF Applications,” Techno Press: International Journal of Advances in Materials Research, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 37-49, March 2012.
- S. Kannan, B. Kim, B. Ahn, “Fault Modeling and Multi-tone Dither Scheme for Testing 3-D Through Silicon Via Defects,” Springer: Journal of Electronic Testing Theory and Applications – Special Issue in 3D Testing, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 39-51, 2012.
- S. Kannan, B. Kim, N. Sai Evana, S.H. Noh, “System-on-Chip Integrated MEMS Packages for RF LNA Testing and Self Calibration,” IMAPS Journal of Microelectronics and Electronic Packaging, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 154-163, 2012.
- A. Gupta, B. Kim, E. Edwards, C. Brantley, P. Ruffin, “ Synthesis and Functionalization Study of Hierarchical ZnO Nanowires for Potential Nitroaromatic Sensing Applications”, Springer: Applied Physics A, Materials Science & Processing, Vol. 107, No.3, pp. 709-714, March 2012.
- A. Gupta, B. Kim, C. Watkins, S. Street, E. Edwards, C. Brantley, P. Ruffin, “Surface Chemistry for ZnO Nanowires for Nanosensor Applications,” Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Nanotechnology in Engineering and Medicine, Vol.2, pp.011010-1-4, February 2011.
- S. Kannan, B. Kim, G. Srinivasan, F. Taenzler, R. Antley, C. Force, “Embedded RF Circuit Diagnostic Technique with Multi-Tone Dither Scheme,” Springer Journal of Electronic Testing Theory and Applications, Special Issue in Analog, Mixed Signal and RF Testing, Vol. 27, No. 3, pp.241-252, 2011.
- B. Kim, R. Kasim, “Development of MEMS Power Sensor Package,” IMAPS Journal of Microelectronics and Electronic Packaging, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 169-174, 2011.
- B. Kim, S. Kannan, A. Gupta, F. Mohammed. B. Ahn, “Development of Carbon Nanotube Based Through Silicon Vias,” Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Nanotechnology in Engineering and Medicine, Vol. 1, pp.121-128, May 2010.
- B. Kim, H. Zhu, J. He, “Integrated Double Sided Neural Sensor with Dry Etch BCB”, Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Nanotechnology in Engineering and Medicine, Vol. 1, pp.021010-1-4, May 2010.