Bernard and Anne Spitzer School of Architecture
The Bernard and Anne Spitzer School of Architecture
- Ph.D., U. of Pennsylvania, Regional & City Planning; 1991
- MLA, Louisiana State U. Landscape Architecture; 1979
- Bachelor of Science, Biology, U. of Illinois; 1976
Adjunct Professor, Bernard & Anne Spitzer School of Architecture, CCNY; 1992 - Present
- Landscape Architect, Ecological Staff Architect, NYC Parks; 1987 - present
- Landscape Architect Consultant with partner, East R. Studio; 1992 - 1994
- Senior Landscape Architect, Wallace, Roberts and Todd, Architects and Landscape Architects, Philadelphia; 1987
- Landscape Architect, Hanna/Olin. Ltd, Philadelphia; 1985 - 1986
- Landscape Architect, Lee and Associates, Landscape Architects and Planners, Seattle; 1981 - 85
- Landscape Architect, Robert Shinbo, Landscape Architects and Planners. Seattle; 1980.
New York Landscape Architecture
Selected Publications and Recent Research
- 100 New York Landscapes, coauthor with Susan Ellis, An illustrated guide to landscape architecture in the New York City area, published by ASLA through the Centennial Chapter Initiatives program, 1999.
- "Celebrating Water and Stone, Two new Asian-style gardens in NY" Terrain, the NYASLA Newsletter, Spring 2000.
- "Designing the Edge" Report, April 2010, a technical summary of the research and process to replace steel sheeting with multiple purpose, porous, ecologically beneficial tidal river edge alternatives at Harlem R. Park. NYC Parks & Recreation. Prepared as a pdf for email-distribution.
- Citation for Harlem River Park design:Ahern, Jack; Zhou, Xiao (translator). "Biodiversity Challenges and Opportunities for Landscape Architects. Landscape Architecture China Journal, 5/2011, pp. 98-103. (English and Mandarin).
- Randall's Is. Living Shoreline- research to incorporate sea level rise in urban waterfronts, 2012.
- The American Society of Landscape Architects and NY Chapter Executive Board
- Landscape Architectural Accreditation Board, Roster of Visiting Evaluators
- Society for Ecological Restoration