The Alumni Association of The City College of New York has been a resolute partner of the College since its inception. As an independent organization, its most valuable contribution has been to identify and help steward relationships between the college and the thousands of men and women who call us their Alma Mater. The Alumni Association of The City College of New York can trace its origin to the first graduating class. On July 26, 1853, members of the class, meeting in the chapel of the original building on 23rd Street, formed the Associate Alumni of The Free Academy. On April 30, 1866, The Free Academy became The College of the City of New York (hence the initials CCNY), and the name of the Associate Alumni changed accordingly. In those early days the organization was mainly a social group with interests centered on the affairs of the College. On March 7, 1913 the Association was incorporated in the State of New York as the Associate Alumni of the College of the City of New York, Inc. The Alumni Association is an independent organization with its own officers and Board of Directors.
The Alumni Association:
- Generates and sustains meaningful connections among alumni, students, faculty, and staff through its many intellectual, cultural, and social networking events
- Honors Alumni for career accomplishments, philanthropy, and service with the esteemed Townsend Harris Medal and Alumni Service Awards
- Provides a network for Alumni to leverage for professional development and/or career advancement
- Supports current students with scholarships, mentoring, and networking opportunities
- Promotes, in all its endeavors, The City College of New York
- Offers benefits and discounts that are exclusive for members, which include access to events and a free subscription to the Alumnus magazine