Share This

Questions about Academic Advising

Colin Powell School for Civic and Global Leadership

Questions about Academic Advising


Back to FAQs

Why do I need an advisor?

One question we ask students all the time is "who is helping you meet your goals"? We all need help, guidance, and mentorship to be successful. Advisors are an important part of your developing network and can help ensure you stay on the path to graduation and success after college. You should make it a point to get to know a faculty advisor in your department as well as the advisors in the Office of Student Success.

Faculty Advisor? Academic Advisor? What's the difference?

Where do I go if I need academic advisement? If you need academic advisement for the general education requirements, you should speak with the advisors in the Office of Student Success, in Shepard Hall 550. For questions related to your major or an interest in a minor or second major, visit the main office of that department.

Is special advising available for International Students?

Yes! The Office of International Student and Scholar Services is dedicated to supporting students who are not permanent residents of the United States.You can visit them online or in person (NAC 1/107) with questions about visas, academic requirements to maintain your status, finances, health insurance, and work options.

What about students with disabilities?

The AccessAbility Center facilitates reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities. Students must be registered in the AccessAbility Center in order to utilize their services. You can visit the office online or in person (NAC 1/218).

Back to FAQs