This is an eight-week ambulatory rotation. Students participate in the wide range of clinical encounters seen in a family medicine ambulatory practice. Students will complete the rotation at one of the following sites: Union Community Health Center (Bronx, NY), Institute for Family Health (Bronx, NY), Phelps Memorial Family Medicine Practice (Sleepy Hollow, NY), Glen Cove Family Medicine Practice (Glen Cove, NY), Southside Family Medicine Practice(Bay Shore, NY).
Family Medicine Clerkship Learning Objectives:
• Obtain an accurate medical history on patients
• Perform an accurate physical examination on patients
• Identify appropriate diagnostic tests in the evaluation of patients with common presenting symptoms or signs
• Use the data from the medical interview and physical examination as well as supporting evidence to formulate a differential diagnosis for patients, and appropriate initial treatment plan
• Develop evidence-based health promotion/disease prevention plans for patients across the lifespan.
• Complete a write up that includes clinical information from the medical interview and physical examination, a differential diagnosis, and appropriate initial treatment plan
• Identify an appropriate approach to evaluating, diagnosing and treating patients with common conditions seen in a family medicine practice
• Engage in self-directed learning
• Respond appropriately to feedback
• Prepare effective patient write-ups
• Deliver effective oral presentations
• Work effectively and collaboratively with other members of the health care team
• Communicate effectively and respectfully with patients and their families across a broad range of socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds
• Demonstrate respect and compassion in the care of all patients
• Demonstrate honesty and integrity in all professional activities
• Describe the resources in the health care setting and in the community, that would provide optimal care for patients
• Recognize approaches to collaborative and team-based care for patients.
• Recognize the impact of social determinants of health on an individual patient