- Set up of the CCNY email account:
You are advised to use your CCNY account for communication with students via email. Please review the E-mail Guidelines for more information, to activate your account, and to reset your password (Access your email). You are not allowed to forward your CCNY email to your personal email.
- Learn why and how to access Blackboard
- Know about the CUNY Technology Services:
Blackboard, CUNYfirst, DegreeWorks, CUNYAlert, Library, Office 365 for Education, Office ProPlus, Dropbox, CUNY Academic Commons, Cloud Virtual Desktop, Gartner, CUNYfirst MyInfo, eMall, McAfee, Maplesoft.
- Update your computer:
These are the most important areas you need to keep up to date or check on your computer regularly to keep your system free from viruses and Internet threats:
- Anti-Virus software (virus definitions)
- Check for Windows Updates (Microsoft publishes updates every Tuesday)
- Check for Apple iOS Updates
- Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod
- Check and update Plug-Ins (most common Plug-Ins: Adobe Reader, Flash, Shockwave, Quicktime, Java)
- Browsers, e.g. Mozilla Firefox (Help -> About ... Checks automatically for Updates) or Internet Explorer
- Update Java (Java SE Downloads)
- Adobe Reader: Help -> Check for Updates ...
- Check Adobe Flash for latest version
- Fraudulent Websites (Domain Name System (DNS) Redirects)
- Free virus scan applications:
- Backup your data (flash, hard drive, etc.) at least weekly:
The best way to backup your system depends on your use, needs, and system. These articles will help you to choose the best solution:
- Internet Safety
- Do not download anything or click on any link unless you know the source!
CUNY Information Security
CCNY Information Security Office
Be Safe on the Internet by WikiHow
Multimedia Center Resources
Do not open attachments from senders you do not know. Do not click on links in emails from a sender you do not recognize.
- Know how to use a flash drive (e.g. ejecting)
- Be aware of the Copyright Laws because they also apply to online content:
- Technology and Teaching Resources:
- Instructional Technology
- Use of Technology in Teaching and Learning by the U.S. Department of Education
- An Introduction to Technology Integration by edutopia
- Good Citizenship in School of Education Smart Classrooms:
- Do not save content on the SmartBoard computer.
- User name and password are your email credentials.
- Make sure you TURN OFF the LCD projector, computer and other equipment. After you turn off the LCD projector the fan will stay on until the bulb is cooled down.
- Report damaged instructional resources (computer, SmartBoard, tables, chairs, etc.) to the Dean's office.
- Remove all trash.
- Lock the room behind you.
- Access to locked School of Education rooms:
contact Security North Academic Center, Room 4/201, Office of Technology North Academic Center, Room 3/227A or the Learning & Technology Resource Center North Academic Center, Room 3/226.
- Unlocking computer cabinets:
contact Office of Technology North Academic Center, Room 3/227A or the Learning & Technology Resource Center North Academic Center, Room 3/226.