The STEM Career Development Institute (STEM-CDI) gives participating students the training, experience, and support they need to be competitive in career searches and professional school admissions processes. Students who participate in this program are majoring in fields rooted in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics; therefore, students typically seek out internships or research experience directly related to their academic studies.
The program allows STEM sophomores and juniors to develop the tools that they need to launch a great career. Monthly workshops and training sessions take place over the 2017-2018 academic year, leading into the summer 2018 internship program.
• Students who secure unpaid summer internships or research experience may receive a $3500 stipend for 280 accumulated hours over the summer.
• Students are required to submit weekly journal entries that reflect upon their experience.
• Students are required to submit a short report in August that reflects upon their projects/activities during their internship/research experience. The report will also discuss new skills or experiences gained over the summer.
• Students will be required to complete a mid-summer survey and end-of-summer survey.
• Students will be required to stay in touch with their adviser throughout the summer.
• The Mayor’s Office
• Bank of America
• Con Edison
• Children’s Museum of Manhattan
• New York Stem Cell Research Foundation
• Brookhaven National Laboratory
• Cardiovascular Research Foundation
• Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
• Vital Care Services
• Sophomore or junior status for Fall 2017
• Minimum GPA of 2.7
• Major or minor in a STEM field
• Must maintain at least half-time enrollment status
Applicants must be able to commit to the following:
• Participate in a cover letter and resume review.
• Participate in a mock interview.
• Attend a mandatory Bootcamp training session in August 2017 as well as January 2018 (dates TBD).
• Attend all monthly trainings and workshops. These typically take place 1-2 times per month during club hours (Tues/Thurs from 12:30-1:30pm). Students should be able to balance STEM-CDI and co-curricular activities.
• Being an equal partner during the internship search process.
• Meet summer internship expectations listed above.
Applications for 2017-2018 are now closed.
For more information please contact our Leadership Initiatives team.