Financial Aid Disbursement Information



The office of the University Controller of the City University of New York will mail all financial aid checks to your home address, unless you sign up for direct deposit or the CUNY Scholar Support prepaid card. 

For more information about direct deposit, contact the Bursar's Office, room A-103, or call (212) 650-8705.

No checking or savings account? Another option for receiving financial aid checks is the "CUNY Scholar Support Card" which is a debit card issued by Citibank.

If you do not receive your check in the mail within 10 days of the mailing date, or your check has been lost or stolen, be sure to come to the Financial Aid Office IMMEDIATELY. A "stop payment" must be placed on the check by CUNY's Office of the University Controller. It may take up to three (3) weeks to receive a replacement check.

Should you have any questions about your Financial Aid checks, please come to the Financial Aid Office with your check stub(s) and purple and white Bursar's bill.

If you receive a Federal Pell Grant check any time during the Fall semester, you will automatically receive a Federal Pell Grant check in the Spring semester, as long as you remain eligible. Financial aid checks for the 2014-15 academic year can be reissued as long as you remain eligible. Deadlines for requesting a reissue of a check are:

  • TBA

Your check may be placed on "hold" or canceled if you do not meet the "Federal Financial Aid Requirements" listed below.

If you are enrolled in an "E-Permit" course at another CUNY school or in the CUNY B.A. program, you will receive your financial aid from City College. To verify your attendance at the other college, you must submit a statement from that college's Registrar's Office which indicates the number of credits for which you are currently enrolled. These statements must be dated no earlier than one week prior to each check distribution.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Updated 1/12/2015


You must be enrolled for at least 6 credits/hours each semester. (1-5 credits/hours for Federal PELL Grant only).

You must be in a degree program, in good academic standing, and making satisfactory academic progress as defined by The City University of New York.

Full-time undergraduate students should complete a Baccalaureate degree within six (6) years.

Full-time graduate students should complete a Masters degree within three (3) years. Students must earn at least two-thirds of the credits that are attempted.

To remain eligible for financial aid, undergraduate students must achieve a GPA (grade point average) of:

  • 1.50 if 1-12.9 credits have been attempted
  • 1.75 if 13.0-24.9 credits have been attempted
  • 2.00 if 25 or more credits have been attempted

However, undergraduate students who have been enrolled for four semesters are required to have a 2.0 GPA. (Regardless of the number of credits attempted.)

Graduate students must maintain a 3.00 GPA.

You cannot be in default of any federal educational loans and/or owe a federal grant repayment.


If you have stopped attending all of your classes and you receive a financial aid check, contact the FINANCIAL AID OFFICE IMMEDIATELY.

We will need to determine if you are entitled to any financial aid for the semester. Title IV federal aid recipients who withdraw from all classes before 60% of the semester has passed, [before 11/06/14 in the Fall 2014 semester and before 4/02/15 in the Spring 2015 semester] may have to repay some or all of their federal aid, according to a federal formula.

City College is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action institution.

The College does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, religion, race, color, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran or marital status, in its student admissions, employment, access to programs and administration of educational policies.

The College offers services and assistance to students with disabilities. Questions can be directed to the AccessAbility Center at (212)650-5913 or at the office located in NAC 1/218.


Updated 1/28/16