Webmail: E-mail Service for Faculty & Staff
On November 30, 2015, the Pelican e-mail server will be retired from service and everyone at CCNY will be migrated to OIT's new email system, Webmail. In order to ensure all users are migrated by the end of November, every department will be designated a date to have their Pelican accounts migrated. As this date approaches, an e-mail will be sent with specific details about the migration schedule and what to expect during the changeover. If you have any questions, feel free to contact x7878.
We are pleased to announce that the Office of Information Technology (OIT) has deployed a new Microsoft Exchange®e-mail server for City College's faculty and staff: Webmail. This new system will replace the Pelican email system and provide an enhanced communications experience for our users by integrating the following features:
- 3GB of e-mail storage space
- Shareable calendar
- Global address book listings of all CCNY faculty, staff, and students
- Web interface integrating e-mail, calendar, address book, and tasks
- Calendar allowing reservations of meeting and conference rooms throughout campus
- Ability to sync e-mails and calendars across multiple devices
- Malware and spam protection
The current e-mail system, Pelican, was deployed in 2007. Because it operates on an outdated platform it has been expensive to maintain and at times unreliable. Understanding how vital e-mail is as an official means of communication, replacing this system with a modern, more effective e-mail environment has been our very high priority.
Due to the rich features available in Webmail/Outlook it is highly recommended that all faculty and staff members take full advantage of this system.
Over the next few months, OIT will be collaborating with academic and administrative offices throughout the college to migrate users from Pelican to Webmail. To help facilitate this change the following resources will be available for you:
- A support website is available and will be updated frequently with status updates, common questions and answers (FAQs).
- A quick reference card will be distributed to users upon their migration to Webmail, an electronic copy is available in PDF format Download the PDF
For general questions, users can also contact IT Service Desk at (212) 650-7878 or by email at email@example.com.