Name and Gender Change

The City College of New York is committed to providing educational excellence to its students while creating a diverse, inclusive atmosphere for learning. 

CUNY prohibits discrimination and harassment based on gender identity and expression.  CUNY policy states that students and employees are permitted to use a preferred first name and middle name on all non-official records, including their email address, without the need to provide documentation.  Students and employees are also permitted to change their gender in CUNY records without documentation.  

Preferred Name Change:

Students and employees can select their preferred name (first and/or middle) as well as preferred gender identity. No documentation is needed to update a preferred name or preferred gender identity. You can also request a new CCNY ID card and email address reflecting the updated information. 

Students can provide a preferred name on CUNYfirst or submit a Preferred Name Request Form to Registrar.  Employees can contact Human Resources for name and gender changes.

CUNYfirst Preferred Name Change Instructions:

  1. Visit the CUNYFirst Webpage
  2. Log into your account
  3. Go to Student Center
  4. Scroll down to Personal Information and Click "Names" on the left hand side
  5. On that page you should be able to add a name and indicate that it is your preferred name.
  6. Please note that this will only change your name on CUNYFirst, it is not a legal name change. After making this update your preferred name will also be shown on class rosters and Blackboard.

New Student E-mail and Computer Login:

Students can request a new e-mail address and username computer login with their preferred name.

To make a request, send an e-mail to  In your email, please include the following information:

  • Current name
  • Preferred name 
  • Phone number to reach you 
  • Include "Citymail Name Change" in the subject line

Gender Change Request Form

Preferred Name Request Form

For support with these changes: 

  • Students should contact Gender Resources 212-650-6498
  • Employees should contact Human Resources 212-650-7226