The City College of New York is committed to providing educational excellence to its students while creating a diverse, inclusive atmosphere for learning.
CUNY prohibits discrimination and harassment based on gender identity and expression. CUNY policy states that students and employees are permitted to use a preferred first name and middle name on all non-official records, including their email address, without the need to provide documentation. Students and employees are also permitted to change their gender in CUNY records without documentation.
Preferred Name Change:
Students and employees can select their preferred name (first and/or middle) as well as preferred gender identity. No documentation is needed to update a preferred name or preferred gender identity. You can also request a new CCNY ID card and email address reflecting the updated information.
Students can provide a preferred name on CUNYfirst or submit a Preferred Name Request Form to Registrar. Employees can contact Human Resources for name and gender changes.
CUNYfirst Preferred Name Change Instructions:
- Visit the CUNYFirst Webpage
- Log into your account
- Go to Student Center
- Scroll down to Personal Information and Click "Names" on the left hand side
- On that page you should be able to add a name and indicate that it is your preferred name.
- Please note that this will only change your name on CUNYFirst, it is not a legal name change. After making this update your preferred name will also be shown on class rosters and Blackboard.
New Student E-mail and Computer Login:
Students can request a new e-mail address and username computer login with their preferred name.
To make a request, send an e-mail to email@example.com. In your email, please include the following information:
- Current name
- Preferred name
- Phone number to reach you
- Include "Citymail Name Change" in the subject line
For support with these changes:
- Students should contact Gender Resources 212-650-6498
- Employees should contact Human Resources 212-650-7226