Department Chair, Professor Co-Chair, Computer Engineering Chair, Electrical Engineering
Computer EngineeringCUNY Graduate CenterInstitute for Ultrafast Spectroscopy and Lasers
Carried out in depth experimental studies of self phase modulation (SPM), degenerate four wave mixing (DFWM), cross phase modulation (XPM), stimulated Raman scattering (SRS), phase conjugation, and Raman induced phase conjugation (RIPC) in bulk and structured materials. These studies lead to the discovery of new materials with large nonlinear responses.
Investigated silica based photonic crystals as dispersion compensation devices over a broad spectral range (500nm to 2000nm).
Designed and tested several optical computing schemes including an optical phase conjugation based residue arithmetic computation scheme, and an ultrafast digital optical signal processor using a Venn diagram based spatial encoding technique.
Investigated the optical nonlinearity of semiconductor quantum dots imbedded in transparent polymer matrices. This work suggests that these structures could be used in efficient optical limiting devices.
Investigated novel nonlinear distributed p-n junctions made of p-doped and n-doped single-wall carbon nanotubes. This concept can be used to explore coherent arrays of more complex structures for nano-circuits applications.
Participated in the design long haul DWDM optical communication systems. This work included the characterization and optimization of the nonlinear penalty, chromatic dispersion, polarization mode dispersion, and polarization dependent losses in DWDM systems.
Designed and tested distributed and lumped Raman amplifiers for undersea long haul applications.
Developed and tested an ultra-wide bandwidth hybrid fiber optic parametric/Raman amplifier.
Designed and experimentally demonstrated new Ethernet passive optical network architectures which provide added flexibility and simplicity in the deployment of access networks.
- Ph.D., Physics, Lomonosov Moscow State University, Russia, 1976.
- B.S., M.S., Physics, Lomonosov Moscow State University, Russia, 1972.
- Introduction to Lasers (F5800)
- Optical Signal Processing (I8500)
Fabrication and nonlinear optical characterization of nanomaterials and structures. All optical devices. Fiber amplifiers. Optical communication.
- Fabrication of monodispersed silver nanoparticles and their collective sharp plasmonic response. A. Suslov, P. Lama and R. Dorsinville. Plasmonics, (2013). DOI 10.1007/s11468-013-9647-2
- Optimization of gain-bandwidth and gain-ripple of a hybrid raman-parametric amplifier for access network applications. S. Peiris, N. Madamopuolos, N. Antoniades, M. A. Ummy, M. Ali, and R. Dorsinville. Applied Optics 51, No 32, 7834-7841 (2012).
- Switchable dual-wavelength SOA-based fiber laser with continuous tunability over the C-band at room temperature. M. A. Ummy, N. Madamopoulos, M. Razani, A. Hossain, and R. Dorsinville. Optics Express, Vol. 20, No. 21, 23367- 23373 (2012).
- Dynamic and fair resource allocation in a distributed ring-based WDM-PON architectures, H. Erkan, G. Ellinas, A. Hadjiantonis, R. Dorsinville, and M. Ali. Computer Communications, (2012).
- A fully distributed 10G EPON-based converged fixed-mobile networking transport infrastructure for next-generation broadband access. N. Madamopoulos, S. Peiris, N. Antoniades, D. Richards, B. Pathak, G. Ellinas, R. Dorsinville, and M. A Ali. IEEE/OSA Journal of Optical Communications and Networking (JOCN), Vol. 4, Issue 5, 366-377 (2012).
- Fabrication and characterization of nanostructured thin films of Ag synthesized using condensation on ion centers in gas. A. Suslov, P. Lama, R. Dorsinville. Micro & Nano Letters, Vol. 6, Iss. 11, pp. 955–957 (2011).
- Tunable multi-wavelength SOA based linear cavity dual-output port fiber laser using Lyot-Sagnac loop mirror. M. A. Ummy, N. Madamopoulos, A. Joyo, M. Kouar, R. Dorsinville. Optics Express (2011), Vol. 19, No 4, 3202 (2011).
- On the vision of complete fixed-mobile convergence. Mohamed Ali, Georgios Ellinas, Hassan Erkan, Antonis Hadjiantonis, and Roger Dorsinville. Journal of Lightwave Technology, 28, No 16, 2343-2357 (2010).
- Experimental demonstration of a distributed Ring-based EPON Architecture M. Pathak, M. Ummy, N. Madamopoulos, M.A. Ali and R. Dorsinville. Journal of Photonic Network Communications, v19, No 1, 55-61 (2010).
- Dual loop mirror SOA-based widely tunable dual-output port fiber laser. M. A. Ummy, N. Madamopoulos, P. Lama and Roger Dorsinville. Optics Express, Vol. 17, No. 17, 14495 (2009).