Areas of Expertise/Research
- Neurosurgery Robots
- Soft Robots
- Sensors and Actuators
- Prostate Surgery Robots
- Surgical Robots
- Image-Guided Surgery
- Wearable Robots and Rehabilitation
Steinman Hall ST - 225
Postdoc, PhD, and Visiting Scholar positions in wearable robots and surgical robots available
Prof. Hao Su received his Ph.D. degree from the Worcester Polytechnic Institute. He was a postdoctoral research fellow at Harvard University and the Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering. Prior to this role, he was a Research Scientist at Philips Research North America where he designed robots for lung and cardiac surgery. Dr. Su received Mobility Unlimited Challenge Discovery Award from Toyota Mobility Foundation, the the Best Medical Robotics Paper Runner-up Award in the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), and Philips Innovation Transfer Award. He received the Advanced Simulation & Training Award from the Link Foundation and Dr. Richard Schlesinger Award from the American Society for Quality. He holds patents on surgical robotics and socially assistive robots.
Dr. Su is the Junior Chair of the Technical Committee on Mechanisms and Design of the IEEE Robotics and Automation Society. He is the Associate Editor of the Journal: Frontiers in Robotics and AI. He is the Associate Editor of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation and the BioRobotics theme editor of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC). He is the Exoskeleton Standardization Task Force member of the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). He was the chair of Catheter Robotics workshop and organizing committee member of the Design of Medical Devices Conference.
- Postdoc fellowship, Mechanical and Biomedical Engineering, Harvard University
- Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, Worcester Polytechnic Insitute
- M.E. Mechanical Engineering, State University of New York at Buffalo
- B.S. Control Science and engineering, Harbin Insititute of Technology, China
ME 41100 Systems Dynamics and Control
ME 599 Advanced Mechatronics
Wearable robot and rehabilitation
Surgical robots, image-guided surgery
1. Guo, S. Yu, Y. Li, T.H. Huang, J. Wang, B. Lynn, J. Fidock, C.L. Shen, D. Edwards, H. Su, “A Soft Robotic Exo-Sheath using Fabric EMG Sensing for Hand Rehabilitation and Assistance”, IEEE International Conference on Soft Robotics, Livorno, Italy, 2018.
2. S. Yu, R. Duan, H. Cui, T. Huang, C. Feng, Y. Tian Z. Zhu, H. Su, “Interaction-Safe Humanoid Robot for Augmented Reality-Assisted Telemanipulation”, Waste Management Symposia, Phoenix, 2018. PDF
3. Y. Li, S. Chang, G. Francisco, H. Su, “Interaction Force Modeling for Joint Misalignment Minimization Toward Bio-inspired Knee Exoskeleton Design”, Design of Medical Devices Conferences (DMD), Minneapolis, 2018. PDF
4. R. Duan, S. Yu, G. Yue, R. Foulds, C. Feng, Y. Tian, H. Su, “Real-Time Robust 3D Plane Extraction for Wearable Robot Perception and Control”, Design of Medical Devices Conferences (DMD), Minneapolis, 2018. PDF
5. H. Cui, S. Yu, X. Yan, S. Chang, G. Francisco, Q. Fu, H. Su, “A Modular Approach for Lightweight Humanoid Hand Design using High Torque Density Electric Actuators”, Design of Medical Devices Conferences (DMD), Minneapolis, 2018. PDF
6. K. Shang, X. Xu, H. Su, “Design and Evaluation of an Upper Extremity Wearable Robot with Payload Balancing for Human Augmentation,” International Wearable Robotics Symposium, 2017.
7. E. Park, J. Kang, H. Su, P. Stegall, S. Agrawal, E. Goldfield, C. J. Walsh, “Design and Preliminary Evaluation of a Multi-Robotic System with Pelvic and Hip Assistance for Pediatric Gait Rehabilitation”, International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics (ICORR), London, 2017. PDF
8. H. Su, Y. Ding, I. Galiana, J. Speeckaert, N. Karavas, P. Malcolm, C. Siviy, C. J. Walsh, “Evaluation of Force Tracking Controller with Soft Exosuit for Hip Extension Assistance”, The International Symposium on Wearable Robotics, Segovia, Spain, 2016. PDF
9. Z. Guo, T. Lun, Y. Chen, H. Su, D. Chan, K.W. Kwok, “Novel Design of an MR-Safe Pneumatic Stepper Motor for MRI-Guided Robotic Interventions”, Proceedings of The Hamlyn Symposium on Medical Robotics, London, 2016.
10. E. Goldfield, E. Park, J. Kang, H. Su, P. Stegall, S. Agrawal, C. J. Walsh, “Multi-Robot Cyber-Physical System for Assisting Young Developmentally-Delayed Children in Learning to Walk,” NSF Cyber-Physical Systems Principal Investigators' Meeting, Arlington, Virginia, 2016.