B.E.(Ch.E.), 1955, The City College of New York.
M.S.(Ch.E.), 1957, Purdue University.
Ph.D., 1963, Case Institute of Technology.
High velocity fluidization, multiphase reactor analysis, biomedical engineering.
Currently, the thrust in our high velocity fluidization research is experimental, taking advantage of the program's unique facility, which is built around two 25' circulating fluidized beds. Instrumentation includes a high-power industrial X-ray system for flow visualization and instantaneous solids concentration measurements. The data acquisition system is fully computerized. The aim of our work is to develop the measurement techniques needed to obtain a statistical description of the turbulence in the two-phase gas-solid flow.
Other areas of research interest include multiphase chemical reactor analysis and biomedical engineering. The reactor analysis effort aims at more completely incorporating the structure of the multiphase flow into the reactor model. The biomedical engineering research seeks to develop analytical techniques for determining blood flow and perfusion levels in organs. Recent studies have been relevant to sexual dysfunction in diabetics.
- Cao, C. and H. Weinstein "Gas Dispersion in Downflowing High Velocity Fluidized Beds," AICHE J, accepted for publication
- Cao, C. and H. Weinstein "Characterization of Downflowing High Velocity Fluidized Beds," AICHE J, accepted for publication
- Kostazos, A.E., H. Weinstein and R.A. Graff "The Effect of the Location of Gas Injection on the Distrinbution of Gas and Catalyst In a Riser," in Fluidization IX, L.S. Fan and T.M. Knowlton, Eds., Engineering Foundation, (1998)
- Kostazos, A.E., and H. Weinstein "A Detailed Experimental Description of the Flow in The Entrance Section of an FCC Riser," in Advances in Fluidization and Fluid Particle Systems, D. King, Eds., AIChE Vol. 93, No. 317 (1997)
- Chen, L. and H. Weinstein "Temperature Distribution Around a Heated Horizontal Jet in Fluidized Bed," AIChEJ V43, N9, (1997)
- Weinstein, H., L. Chen, A.E. Kostazos and R.A. Graff "Pressure Gradients in a Fluidized Riser, " in Circulating Fluidized Bed Technology V, M. Kwauk and J. Li, Eds. Science Press, Beijing, (1996)
- Weinstein, H., H.J. Feindt, L. Chen, R.A. Graff, M. Pell, R.M. Contractor and S.P. Jordan "Riser Gas Feed Nozzle Configuration Effects on the Acceleration and Distribution of Solids," in Fluidization VIII, J.-F. Large and C. Laguerie, Eds., Engineering Foundation, (1996)
- Chen, L. and H. Weinstein, "The Shape and Extent of the Void Formed by a Horizontal Jet in a Fluidized Bed," AIChE Journal, 39, 1901 (1993)
- Chen, L. and H. Weinstein, "Measurement of Normal Stress and Hindrance Factor in a Collapsing Fluidized Bed,." Chem. Eng. Sci., 49, 811 (1993)
- Weinstein, H., H.J. Feindt. L. Chen, and R.A. Graff, "The Measurement of Turbulence Quantities in a High Velocity Fluidized Bed,." in Fluidization VII, O.E. Potter and D.J.Nicklin, Eds., Engineering Foundation, New York (1992)
- Contractor, R.M., M. Pell, H.Weinstein, and H.J. Feindt, "The Rate of Solid Loss in a Circulation Accident,." in Fluidization VII, O.E. Potter and D.J. Nicklin, Eds., Engineering Foundation, New York (1992)
- Li, J. and H.Weinstein, "An Experimental Comparison of Gas Backmixing in Fluidized Beds Across the Regime Spectrum," Chem. Eng. Sci., 44, 1697 (1989)
- Weinstein, H., J. Li, E. Bandlamudi, H.J. Feindt, and R.A. Graff, "Gas Backmixing in Fluidized Beds in Different Regimes and Different Regions,." in Fluidization VI, J.R. Grace, L.W. Sheimilt, and M.A. Bergougnoll, Eds., Engineering Foundation, New York (1988)
- Weinstein, H. and J. Li, "An Evaluation of the Actual Density in the Acceleration Section of Verical Risers," Powder Tech. (1988)
- Schnitzlein, M.G. and H. Weinstein, "Flow Characterization in High Velocity Fluidized Beds Using Pressure Fluctuations," Chem. Eng. Sci., 43, 2605 (1988)