Chemistry and Biochemistry
Areas of Expertise/Research
- Ion Channels
- Nerve Impulses
Marshak Science Building
BS, CORNELL UNIVERSITY 1959
MS, PhD, YALE UNIVERSITY 1961,1964* (*Official date, completed 1963)
POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP, CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, 1963-1964
(RECENT YEARS ONLY) INTRODUCTORY CHEMISTRY, PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY (BOTH SEMESTERS), ION CHANNELS (SPECIAL TOPICS COURSE, PhD PROGRAM)
THE CITY COLLEGE OF NEW YORK, 1966-2018; PROFESSOR EMERITUS, 2018-PRESENT (ASST PROF TO PROF; DEPARTMENT CHAIR, 1990-1996)
MIDDLE EAST TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY, ANKARA, 1964-1966 (VISITING FACULTY MEMBER, AS PEACE CORPS VOLUNTEER)
VISITING SCIENTIST, HACETTEPE UNIVERSITY (ANKARA) 1974
VISITING SCIENTIST, CHINESE ACADEMY OF SCIENCES, INSTITUTE OF CHEMICAL PHYSICS, LANZHOU (1982)
Quantum calculations on ion channels, with related calculations on hydrogen bonding, salt bridges, and water clusters: we have done large scale calculations involving several hundred molecules in an attempt to work out gating and conduction mechanisms for voltage gated potassium channels in particular. Calculations are now underway at high performance computers at Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Brookhaven National Laboratory, and at the City University of New York
1) CHAIR, THE CITY COLLEGE OF NEW YORK CHAPTER OF THE PSC-CUNY, 2009-2012.
2) PERMANENT RESEARCH ASSOCIATE: ALISHER M KARIEV
BOOKS AUTHORED OR COAUTHORED
- SAFETY IN WORKING WITH CHEMICALS, M.E. GREEN AND A. TURK, (1978)
- THE USE OF ESTIMATES IN SOLVING CHEMISTRY PROBLEMS, M. E. GREEN AND D. GARLAND (1991, SAUNDERS COLLEGE PUBLISHING)
- CHEMISTRY AND SOCIETY: A MEASUREMENT BASED COURSE, M. E. GREEN, (2019, LINUS LEARNING, RONKONKOMA)
References relevant to ion channel properties
- Quantum Calculation of Proton and Other Charge Transfer Steps in Voltage Sensing in the Kv1.2 Channel Kariev, Alisher M.; Green, Michael E. From Journal of Physical Chemistry B (2019), 123(38), 7984-7998.
- Quantum calculation of proton and other charge transfer steps in voltage sensing in the Kv1.2 channel Kariev, Alisher M.; Green, Michael E. From ChemRxiv (2019), 1-41.
- The role of proton transport in gating current in a voltage gated ion channel, as shown by quantum calculations Kariev, Alisher M.; Green, Michael E. From Sensors (2018), 18(9), 3143/1-3143/29.
- The Role of Proton Transport in Gating Current in a Voltage Gated Ion Channel, as Shown by Quantum Calculations Kariev, Alisher M.; Green, Michael E. From bioRxiv, Biophysics (2018), 1-46.
- Quantum calculations of a large section of the voltage sensing domain of the Kv1.2 channel show that proton transfer, not S4 motion, provides the gating current Kariev, Alisher. M.; Green, Michael. E. From arXiv.org, e-Print Archive, Quantitative Biology (2017), 1,-304.
- Quantum Effects in a Simple Ring with Hydrogen Bonds Kariev, Alisher M.; Green, Michael E. From Journal of Physical Chemistry B (2015), 119(19), 5962-5969.
- Caution is required in interpretation of mutations in the voltage sensing domain of voltage gated channels as evidence for gating mechanisms Kariev, Alisher M.; Green, Michael E. From International Journal of Molecular Sciences (2015), 16(1), 1627-1643.
- Quantum calculations show caution is needed in interpreting methanethiosulfonate accessibility experiments on ion channels. By Kariev, Alisher M.; Green, Michael E. arXiv.org, e-Print Archive, Quantitative Biology (2013), 1-11, arXiv:1309.1373v1 [q-bio.BM].
- Quantum calculations show caution is needed in interpreting methanethiosulfonate accessibility experiments on ion channels By Kariev, Alisher M.; Green, Michael E. arXiv.org, e-Print Archive, Quantitative Biology (2013), 1-11, arXiv:1309.1373v1 [q-bio.BM].
- Voltage gated ion channel function: gating, conduction, and the role of water and protons Kariev, Alisher M.; Green, Michael E. From International Journal of Molecular Sciences (2012), 13, 1680-1709.
- Quantum calculations on salt bridges with water: Potentials, structure, and properties By Liao, Sing; Green, Michael E. From Computational & Theoretical Chemistry (2011), 963(1), 207-214.
- Quantum calculations on water in the KcsA channel cavity with permeant and non-permeant ions By Kariev, Alisher; Green, Michael E. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, Biomembranes (2009), 1788(5), 1188-1192.
- Quantum Mechanical Calculations on Selectivity in the KcsA Channel: The Role of the Aqueous Cavity By Kariev, Alisher M.; Green, Michael E. Journal of Physical Chemistry B (2008), 112(4), 1293-1298.
- Consequences of phosphate-arginine complexes in voltage-gated ion channels Green Michael E From Channels (Austin, Tex.) (2008), 2(6), 395-400
- Quantum Calculations on Hydrogen Bonds in Certain Water Clusters Show Cooperative Effects Znamenskiy, Vasiliy S.; Green, Michael E. From Journal of Chemical Theory and Computation (2007), 3(1), 103-114.
- A possible role for phosphate in complexing the arginines of S4 in voltage gated channels By Green, Michael E. Journal of Theoretical Biology (2005), 233(3), 337-341.
- Voltage gating and anions, especially phosphate: A model system Pradhan, Padmanava; Ghose, Ranajeet; Green, Michael E. From Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, Biomembranes (2005), 1717(2), 97-103.
- Ion channel gating and proton transport By Sapronova, Alla; Bystrov, Vladimir; Green, Michael E. Journal of Molecular Structure: THEOCHEM (2003), 630, 297-307.
- Water, proton transfer, and hydrogen bonding in ion channel gating By Sapronova Alla; Bystrov Vladimir S; Green Michael E Frontiers in Bioscience : a journal and virtual library (2003), 8s1356-70
- Partially Charged H5O2 as a Chemical Switch: A Bond Order and Atoms in Molecules Study of Hydrogen Bonding Determined by Surrounding Groups Green, Michael E. From Journal of Physical Chemistry A (2002), 106(46), 11221-11226
- Water as a structural element in a channel: gating in the Kcsa channel, and implications for voltage-gated ion channels Green, Michael E. From Journal of Biomolecular Structure & Dynamics (2002), 19(4), 725-730.
- Ab initio calculations on a critical part of a protein, with an H5O2 partially charged group in a central role By Green, Michael E. Journal of Physical Chemistry B (2001), 105(22), 5298-5303.
- A model for ion channel voltage gating with static S4 segments By Lu, Jianjun; Yin, Jian; Green, Michael E. From Ferroelectrics (1999), 220(3-4), 249-271
- Simulation of Water in a Small Pore: Effect of Electric Field and Density II: Immobilized Molecules By Lu, Jianjun; Green, Michael E. Journal of Physical Chemistry B (1999), 103(14), 2776-2780.
- Computer simulations and modeling of ion channels By Green, Michael E. Methods in Enzymology (1998), 293(Ion Channels, Part B), 694-723
- A resonance model gives the response to membrane potential for an ion channel By Green, Michael E. Journal of Theoretical Biology (1998), 193(3), 475-483.
- Intermolecular Proton Transfer between Two Methylamine Molecules with an External Electric Field in the Gas Phase Yin, Jian; Green, Michael E. From Journal of Physical Chemistry A (1998), 102(36), 7181-7190
- Simulation of water in a pore with charges. Application to a gating mechanism for ion channels By Lu, J.; Green, M. E. Progress in Colloid & Polymer Science (1997), 103(Amphiphiles at Interfaces), 121-129.
- Simulation of Water in a Small Pore: Effect of Electric Field and Density By Green, Michael E.; Lu, Jianjun From Journal of Physical Chemistry B (1997), 101(33), 6512-6524
- Monte-Carlo simulation of the effects of charges on water and ions in a tapered pore Green, Michael E.; Lu, Jianjun From Journal of Colloid and Interface Science (1995), 171(1), 117-26
- Monte Carlo simulation of the water in a channel with charges By Green, Michael E.; Lewis, Joseph Biophysical Journal (1991), 59(2), 419-26.
- Simulation of the role of water in ion channel gating By Green M E Biophysical journal (1992), 62(1), 101-3
- Electrorheological effects and gating of membrane channels By Green M E Journal of theoretical biology (1989), 138(4), 413-28