Our tutors play an essential role in the Student Support Services Program by working as peer educators at the Academic Resource Center(Marshak 1104). Tutors assist students with learning course material and/or composing college essays. ARC promotes interactive learning, whereby the student directs the session but the tutor is not responsible for the student’s work. Tutors are expected to assess student progress and modify their tutoring approach to achieve the best results. Finally, tutors serve as models of the attitudes and habits that foster academic success.
- a generous disposition and good communication skills
- willingness to serve as a role model for students and to mentor them in study skills
- commitment to maintain the confidentiality of student information
- overall GPA of3.2or better and grade of “A-” or better in courses they wish to tutor
- completion of at least 24 credits at the time of application
- readiness to tutor a variety of courses
- commitment to punctuality and reliability.
- commitment to working a minimum of 3hoursper week§
- commitment to attending all tutor training sessions and staff meetings
- conduct 50-minute tutoring sessions with individuals or small student groups
- share study-skill pointers and supplemental materials as necessary
- enter visit notes into the AdvisorTrac system by the end of each shift
- be punctual for all scheduled sessions,
- complete all assigned training, reports, and self-evaluations by deadlines
- reach out to tutees who are late or missing
- schedule a make-up session for any appointment you have to cancel promptly notify the coordinator of schedule changes, concerns or problems
- review course materials to stay competent in courses tutored
- maintain professionalism at all times
- check Citymail regularly for emails from SSSP and respond promptly
- be an ARC team player by greeting visitors, logging in student visits, taking messages, visiting classes, creating handouts, and assisting with all ARC operations, as needed.
Supporting Materials You must attach the following documents to complete your application :
- A current resume
- an unofficial CCNY transcript
- (writing tutors only) a college paper of at least five pages.
Academic Resource Center |Student Support Services Program Marshak 1104 | (212)650-7055, Ibrahim Alhashidi, ARC Coordinator. E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org